GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Vlad the Impala

Yep! That's the one. I really need to dig out some trickier ones.

Your turn...

Just to add, this bird will be appearing in the next installment of my latest trip report. So best not look if you don't want to cheat...

Yes indeed it is Ovenbird. :) Over to you!

Nice capture of that mesite...not easy! Here's one from me (actually it's Dave's pic):

125718356.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hint...this photo was taken in Morocco. We also have a photo of the same species in the Little Rann of Kutch, Gujarat India.

In that case I am guessing it is a Hoopoe lark.

• 3 weeks later...

So let's make this more interesting and more difficult by including birds from around the world. Who will start afresh for 2013?

Worldwide birds have the potential to be too difficult.

Here is one that shouldn't be too difficult due to its unusual appearance:

4706726798_bf4463013c_o.jpg

I haven’t seen this species yet as I haven’t been to its home country but I’ve seen a few of its close relatives (including two in Africa that now share a name with this bird) and thanks to some of my most recent bird posts I happen to have the right book close to hand. So I know what this one is but I’ll see if anyone else wants to have a go before I give the name and perhaps test out whether expanding this game to include world birds is a good idea or not.

In theory I like idea, but I’m inclined to agree with Rainbirder I think in practice it could just become a little too difficult. If I wanted I could probably post some LBJ from South America that would have everyone pretty well stumped including perhaps myself.

Note to self, New Year’s resolution go through my bird photos and make sure they’re all correctly labelled before I have no clue what they are. :D

kittykat23uk

Well nobody guessed that last one I posted so I'm not sure there is enough interest to expand the game to world birds at this stage. Not sure what bird this is. Might help to post the country or at least the general area where it can be found.

Well nobody guessed that last one I posted so I'm not sure there is enough interest to expand the game to world birds at this stage. Not sure what bird this is. Might help to post the country or at least the general area where it can be found.

Sorry I should have checked back to see what the last bird was, I believe your bird comes from a large Indian Ocean Island as does Rainbirder’s though of course not the same one. I will take a punt as I’ve not been to Madagascar but I have much enjoyed reading your trip report so I will say red-tailed vanga. Not sure if that’s right but if it is I’ll pass for a while to see if anyone wants to take a guess at Rainbirder’s bird.

I suspect that you’re right and there aren’t really enough birders here to keep this going after all even with just African birds there often quite long gaps between posts. I’m never know whether it’s because no one knows what the bird is, or all the birders happen to be away from their PCs/laptops etc or whether everyone who knows has run out of photos.

Your right, forgive me! It was wrong to post a new image without completing the last game.

Assuming your bird has a dark iris (it is hard to make out detail in the image) then it is a Red-tailed Vanga male.

As regards the image I posted, determine what type of bird it is first. Once you do that you will find that a Google search of that term will yield pictures of this bird amongst others. This species is very range restricted and you need to do your homework as I suspect that you will end up going there in the not too distant future! ;)

kittykat23uk

Yes, you are both correct, this is a red-tailed vanga. I believe the new bird is a red-faced Malkoha, from Sri Lanka. :)

See how easy that was!

You'll meet up with them at Sinharaja and a few other sites in SL.

There are possibly up to 33 endemic birds (though most authorities accept only 24). There are also a couple of endemic monkey species and it's the best place in Asia to see Asian Leopard. The deep straits off the south coast (near Galle) are great for Blue Whales and other cetaceans - but you probably knew that already.

kittykat23uk

Well it was either something from there or Borneo, which was one of the other islands I might have mentioned about visiting sometime.

Here is one, a vagrant we saw in Norfolk which came from a distant shore:

2187956808_969370e455_z.jpg

[/url] by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Don't click on the link as it will take you to Flickr where the bird is named. :)

Hmm I think maybe this one blew in from over the pond, it looks like an American sparrow of some sort but I haven’t got the right book to hand, however after doing a quick internet search instead, (not on Flickr I hasten to add).

Is it a white-crowned sparrow?

I believe it even features in a Kirk's stained glass window as its presence helped raise considerable church funds.

Aye, The Lord works in mysterious ways! ;)

Found the link here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330829/White-crowned-sparrow-immortalised-churchs-stained-glass-window-3-000-mile-flight-Atlantic.html

Strapped for cash this New Year?

No problem!

Come to us and we'll rent you out a cheap Yankee Sparrow -quadruple your investment in three days, rent for a month and you can buy yourself that BMW that you know you deserve but couldn't quite afford!

Edited by Rainbirder

kittykat23uk

Yes that's right, it's THE famous Cley sparrah!

As this is the next bird I was going to post in Id. images I thought I’d post it here and see if anyone wants to try and identify it first, I think it shouldn’t be too hard.

gallery_6520_318_110682.jpg

kittykat23uk

Hmmm.... Is it a black kalij pheasant?