sorry for delay! 3038874584_a3e54b99bc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for delay! 3038874584_a3e54b99bc.jpg

Young African Fish Eagle.

kittykat23uk

Yep, your turn!

something out of Jurassic Park??

something out of Jurassic Park??

A distant cousin of Velociraptor doesn't win the coconut! ;)

Tha's not going to be easy! My guess is Af Crowned Eagle. Feathered legs with greyish black feathers on the front, black and white barring on the body. But is that really a chestnut feather just maing the top right of the frame? That would throw me...

I thought it would be quite easy despite the tight crop; but then again I have seen the whole bird. Anyway the clues were:

Huge primate-skull crushing talons, short-feathered very powerful tarsi, b&w barring on the body.

The chestnut feathering is actually the upper surface of the tail.

A bird that can trigger a primordial fear even in a primate as big as me! ;)

African Crowned Eagle (at last I got a chance to get some decent photographs of one!).

Your it TZ!

Edited by Rainbirder

Crowned eagles really are spectacular - but chestnut on the tail? What's that about? There's a pic or two of mine on a post I wrote about crowned eagles and their ancestor-eating tendancies, and I can't see chestnut on the tail... ANyway, I resisted the urge to post another partial bird shot, opting for the naturally obscured instead. Another recent one...

gallery_14465_534_91941.jpg

?Shelley's Francolin

At first glance I thought this was a female Coqui Francolin but it's not.

I think it's one of the "Red-winged" Francolin group. I've only ever seen Shelley's & Moorland Francolin - the habitat in the above image and the clean white rather than buffy throat suggest that it isn't Moorland.

At this point I had to look at the field guides to check out the other Francolins in this group. The head/neck pattern readily excludes both Ring-necked and Red-winged Francolins. In the East African group that leaves Orange River Francolin which in East Africa is a rather rare range-restricted bird found only in a small area of northern Kenya and northern Uganda - not the usual TZ birder stomping ground. Of course you may have taken this image elsewhere!

My vote goes for Shelley's Francolin though the post-ocular stripe in your bird shows very little white.

• 2 weeks later...

And you're absolutely right! Sorry for the slow response. Life seems to have got in the way for a bit - shocking!

Sorry for the delay.

Try this one:

4676166046_8da8464735_o.jpg

I was hoping someone else would ge tthis one as I cound't think of a suitable hint. But I've beenf oreced to it and I think it a frilly cell, a tetchy owlet.

It's not big, it has only one prominent colour to the body feathering, and it grabs winged insects.

What would you call it?

Or Yellow Flycatcher

Almost there!

What about size?

Little Yellow Flycatcher.

........and they say that Birders aren't imaginative!

Your turn Pault.

And now comes the catch - now I have to come up with something difficult enough to keep you guessing more than 30 seconds. :rolleyes:

Bright orange beak, brown neck and a very distracting background...... but still too easy by half I bet! In Tsavo NP

DSC02207a-XL.jpg

Long-Tailed Cormorant at Mzima Springs

Bonus points for getting location correct...... and unless I misidentified it myself, your turn!

That's not easy! Maybe you can give us a location clue to help with the little one? Unlikely to help me - although I do have a working theory that is almost certain to be wrong!