GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Vlad the Impala

That was what I initially though too, Rainbirder, and a few species are very similar. But I'm told it is probably something else...

Edited by Vlad the Impala

Bang goes that theory!

I would have thought that the belly is too dark for Northern Double-collared Sunbird which would be the other obvious choice.

Vlad the Impala

Yep - that's the one. It's a Northern Double Collared Sunbird. There were three species coming to these flowers, with Rwenzori Double Collared, and Variable making up the trio. In the field they were hard enough to distinguish, and confidently doing so from photos is near impossible I would think (which made this is pretty daft photo to post on this thread - my apologies).

Interestingly, one of the reasons given for this being a Northern Double Collared was it's belly not being dark enough for Rwenzori. Another indicator is size, which is not much use here. In my guidebook, the distribution map doesn't show Northen Double Collared extended South into Rwanda, but I'm told this is an error and the two species overlap here.

Either way - it's over to you Rainbirder...

Edited by Vlad the Impala

Okay Vlad.

Here is an easy one for the casual birders to have a go at:

8084275814_ac6780eed3_o.jpg

My guess is the Secretary bird

8084291591_115e4135bb_o.jpg

Over to you Antares!

ost.jpg

Okay, am exercising Admin rights and posting a partial :) What is this?

I'm thinking very big .........in miniature!

armchair bushman

a serval sitting on a hedgehog. obviously. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This game seems to have stalled since I've been away. Where is everyone?

A baby ostrich is my guess..

And your guess is correct :)

148862_407747022625017_1120899382_n.jpg

Thanks to Ayesha Cantor for permission to use the image. I need to get to Africa myself and take some pics... over to you.

Does anyone want a clue?

Not a Green-capped Coua no.

Red-capped Coua of the race olivaceiceps.

First name Betrand, walks with a slight limp favouring his left leg as a result of an old war wound.

Or am I not even close? ;)

We did see Giant Coua in the same area, this was taken in Ifaty. It is much easier to tell this species apart from the Giant Coua in the field because it is quite a bit smaller, but the photograph doesn't give you a good impression of scale and I think they look almost identical other than the size difference. But it's not Red-capped either.. You are all so close though.. :)

Yes! It's a Coquerel's Coua. :) Your turn!

• 2 weeks later...
Vlad the Impala

Ok, here we go. A slightly easier one this time, taken in the Kruger Park....

gallery_14505_713_2011722.jpg

Red crested Korhaan?