GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Currently en-route to Kenya so I will leave it to Rainbirder to give the yes/no to answers on the last image.

Have a great time and keep your eyes peeled for Hirola if near the Aruba-Satao area in Tsavo East!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought someone would have got this by now!

The location is a major clue!

I'll give it a try later - it is familiar....

Not quite so Familiar.

Think of "that old guy" (as my daughter once referred to him) who used to front the Shadows.

Half way there GW.

Think about a precipitous mountain edge .....then talk about it (5,4)!

Cxxx Cxxx

(See the second half was familair - first half was the later bit - for the bird book :D )

GW.... Are you going to take a shot?

No point in me doing it, no birding photos to post: take it away.

A former member, since I mistyped I think it is your turn. Anyway I only have access to my photos at home now due to an inconvenient change in IT policy at work.

Edited by kittykat23uk

A bit of a bird isn't a bad idea a former member.

Maybe you could crop an image to show only part of the bird as long as there is enough to make an ID from.

If you would prefer me to post an image just say.

Edited by kittykat23uk
A

Might I jump for joy if I actually got this one right?

But I won't guess yet because it's a former member's bird - even if she won't play!

Beautiful picture too, by the way.

Edited by kittykat23uk

I thought it looked like some sort of harrier, but there aren't any that have got that red and black in the wing. So I think it is a Grasshopper Buzzard because that's the only bird I can see in my two books that comes close to this bird, even though it doesn't seem to have a particularly distinctive white chin or the black striping that is in the book illustration. Gorgeous photo!! :)

Grasshopper Buzzard it is Kitty!

Now you have the black spot.

Yes go Jo. I'm playing this game until I leave - it's very beneficial and I have a record streak of two right in a row now - even if I needed help with the Cliff party of Cliff Chay. Bring on the LBJs!

I'm going to need my maginfiying glass at home for that one, kittykat! Challenging to do this without a clear view of the beak and eyes, but at least it's not an LBJ. :)

Is it a Cinnamon Breasted Bunting?

I need an excuse in case I am horribly wrong, but i can't think of one.

I think I've still got a few photos I haven't already posted, so I'm going to say male golden-breasted bunting

If you're running out, it's high time you went back on a Safaritalk bird scouting mission old chap...

close but no cigar! :)

Given my identification skills, I actually consider my guess worthy of one of Cuba's best! :)

LOL Paul! Inyathi got it right!

Nobody else having a go?

I think it's a Black-snozzled Pub-wager.

You obviously managed to add your post just before mine Rainbirder :D so I've had to do a quick edit.

:D yes that's pretty much what it is.

I was wondering if anyone was going to have a guess, unless anyone wants to come up with the proper name which shouldn't be too difficult now, I'll pass over to Rainbirder :)

Edited by inyathi