PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

224. Northern Shoveler. Arkemheen, April. Quite common, but usually very shy. This male ventured a little closer.

i-x8wmkLK-XL.jpg

Great range of ducks and geese

225. Garganey. Arkemheen, April. Not common at all, but I do manage to see a few here every year.

i-RVB3g4F-L.jpg

226. Pied Wagtail. Arkemheen, April. Technically a subspecies (motacilla alba yarrellii) so I'd better not count it (but I did anyway....), but quite a rarity over here and I was happy to find one quite unexpectedly.

i-6MKVFhS-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG
updated the count

227. White Wagtail. Arkemheen, April. This is our version of Motacilla Alba. Very common over here.

i-j9czcmC-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

228. Common Redshank. Arkemheen, April. Another one that is hard to miss around here. 

i-CqNqmQD-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

229. Barn Swallow. Arkemheen, April. I had seen them in SA, but not photographed yet. They have returned in great numbers now. I'll try for a few flight shots later on, but better safe than sorry.

i-NvndSbg-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Nice Garganey. A spectacular bird.

Well you can count Yarrellii if you wish. We get a few of its lighter 'Eurocousin' here too.

Well I might as well, then. This is a year we can't waste a single species ;). Thanks, I updated the count.

Edited by PeterHG

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

This is a year we can't waste a single species ;)

So now I have to go out and find an alba!

230. Tree Pipit. Zeewolde, April. On our daily walk we encountered this pipit, singing and showing its display flights. Helped us through another depressing day.

i-hbggbPz-XL.jpg

i-539KZSt-XL.jpg

231. Common Tern. Arkemheen, April. As the name states, our most common tern. Glad to see the first one appearing again.

i-z2DRgvG-XL.jpg

232. House Sparrow. Arkemheen, April. As I was photographing the tern, a few house sparrows flew by. First flight shot I managed of this abundant bird. Not perfect, but who is..

i-kfqpJ2h-XL.jpg

233. Great Crested Grebe. Arkemheen, April. Certainly one of my favourites in this area. You can't miss them here either, they are everywhere.

i-Gw8q2X5-XL.jpg

234. Mediterranean Gull. Arkemheen, April. One of the more unusual sightings. I was alerted to their presence by their distinctive nasal call. I looked up and there were two of them, quite high up among some black-headed gulls. they are much whiter even at a distance so easy to tell apart.

i-sV5KKv2-L.jpg

235. Bluethroat. Arkemheen, April. Another one of my local favourites. They are doing quite well in the reed beds here. We have the so-called 'white-starred' variety in our country.

i-7WGcZNV-XL.jpg

A beautiful Bluethroat. Sadly we don't get them here. (Perhaps it would be more correct to say that I've never seen one)

Nice Bluethroat. I have not been very lucky either in British Isles. I did see one a few years back here on IOM but had no camera.

@Soukous should try for one locally. You never know.

BT180.jpg.b00574365046b80e499051075e16bba1.jpg

9 hours ago, Galana said:

Soukous should try for one locally. You never know.

You seem to enjoy setting me tasks Fred. If it wasn't for the restrictions on travel I'd invite you to come and find one for yourself.:P

Fantastic Bluethroat picture, Peter.

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

I'd invite you to come and find one for yourself.

And I would be up for that challenge too.

You are in the right part of the world. Just a matter of luck, right place, right time.

Peter Connan
8 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

Fantastic Bluethroat picture, Peter.

I agree!

And the trip to Arkemheen was incredibly successful!

Excellent shots, and a fabulous Bluethroat.

The Sparrow in flight is really unusual as well (or more accurately, a photo of one:D)

Well done!

Kitsafari

what a lovely bluethroat - never seen one ever.

Thank you @Soukous, (I do hope you get to see one!), @Galana, @Zim Girl, @Peter Connan, @TonyQ@Kitsafari

15 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

trip to Arkemheen was incredibly successful!

They were several short trips actually. The area (meadows, wetland) is just 15-minutes drive from where I live, Part of it is still farmed but the farmers have agreed to take measures protecting the nesting birds, like Godwits, Redshank, Lapwings etc. The do not mow the grass until the 15th June and keep track of the  number of nests. Of course they are subsidized to do this. This year they have inundated several meadows, attracting even more waders than before. It is a good area to go to, even for a short visit, although perhaps @xelas would not recognize it as such ;)