PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I'm getting a bit fed up of looking at your Kruger shots compared to mine. I feel I missed out on far too much and I was there for a month too!

You were having a very dry period as I recall. But I also remember fantastic bushbaby shots, wild dogs, honey badger, roan antilope from your blog, so it wasn't all bad ;). Our opportunities for birding may have been better in February, though. I'm sorry to say I've still got some birds left to show, but I'll try to be very quiet about them :)

If anybody (but Dave, of course...;)), would be interested to see the 25 minutes movie we made of our trip to South Africa, this is the link. http://peterdehoog.com/files/Zuid-Afrika 2020.mp4

A lot of the birds I've shown here of course, mixed with footage and photos of other wildlife. It's on my own site, so I don't know how the streaming wil be, but feel free to download it, although it's quite a big file (3.7 GB)

AMAZING! The fighting ellies sequence ... never seen before. Thank You for sharing it, @PeterHG.

5 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Janice

Close for an old geezer like me who has problems remembering what he had for breakfast that morning.;)

Probably did not have my hearing aid in anyway!

I tried the video but it buffers like mad. I will try again in the morning. I got as far as the title sequence.

Edited by Galana

@PeterHG Wonderful photos, I do hope Olympus are taking notice and have offered you a role as an ambassador.

Towlersonsafari

What a fine way to spend breakfast,  watching your video @PeterHG and I would have squeaked  when that ellie burst out of the bush!

59 minutes ago, Towlersonsafari said:

I would have squeaked  when that ellie burst out of the bush

We did, too...!

Dave Williams

Well Peter, watching that hasn't made me feel any better that's for sure! Fabulous video professionally presented with some superb sightings. The Ellies are  an amazing bit of footage and I would never have got the as I would have got the hell out of there so fast!!! They looked as if they were only about 30m in front of you!! 

You have certainly got me looking forward to going back but a bit depressed as it might be a long time now. We'll see.

Thank you all for taking the trouble to watch the movie. 

23 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

They looked as if they were only about 30m in front of you!! 

That would be about right, Dave. We kept the engine running of course, but they were so involved with each other that they did not appear to notice our presence at all. A little later they were chasing each other and heading for the place where we had stopped, so that's when we left them to it and drove on. Not another car in sight during the whole event and it was certainly one of the most special moments.

Yes, we feel a little depressed about the prospects of travelling, too. This is all going to take much longer than everybody initially thought. But we are still healthy and able to venture outside for our daily walk in a quiet area, so that is a lot to be thankful for.

151 (SA 139). Marabou Stork. Kruger, February

i-dnNPNsS-X2.jpg

152 (SA 140). Red-headed Weaver. Kruger, February. Only seen in Mopani Restcamp.

i-zQVjN7B-X2.jpg

153 (SA 141). Amur Falcon. Kruger, February. I remember seeing them in great numbers in the Wakkerstroom area 8 years ago. We only saw them once this time, near a waterhole in central Kruger, but al least there were five of them in one tree.

i-HGbRK5C-X2.jpg

154 (SA 142). Kori Bustard. Kruger, February. Not common and the few times we saw them they were quite shy.

i-PtS6SxN-X2.jpg

155 (SA 143). Chestnut-backed Sparrow-lark. Kruger, February. They appeared to be rather common in the Mopani area.

i-zdFCc6b-X2.jpg

156 (SA 144). Lesser Grey Shrike. Kruger, February. 

i-XrmV62n-X2.jpg

157 (SA 145). African Paradise Flycatcher. Kruger, February. 

i-xN7NTvQ-X2.jpg

158 (SA 146). Burchell's Coucal. Kruger, February

A little gift....

i-ftV8rW6-X2.jpg

And the reward.

i-CtGWKnt-XL.jpg

159 (SA 147). Namaqua Dove. Kruger, February. We saw it everywhere and every day.

i-vBmhRGh-L.jpg

i-c7H2sXB-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

160 (SA 148) Gabar Goshawk. Kruger, February.

i-27jZgXL-X2.jpg

Wonderful Coucal shots

Well done with the Gabar. Not an easy one.

Beautiful African birds, looking forward to more

Spectacular as allways Peter, the coucal and the gabar are my favourites.

Peter Connan

As Pedro said, spectacular.

Coucal and Namaqua dove in flight are my favorites!