PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

Superb photos - I love the Gabar Goshawk

This one had me baffled for some moments. At first I thought it might be a Booted Eagle, but the longish tail and whole appearance made me decide on a light phase Wahlberg's Eagle. So far I'd only ever seen the dark variety. It's already in the count, but it would be interesting to show it anyway.

i-hFVSBN4-X2.jpg

161 (SA 149) Peregrine. Kruger, February. Distant, so a heavy crop, but the only one we saw.

i-MfwH49R-XL.jpg

162 (SA 150) Blue Waxbill. Kruger, February

i-pT4MjzL-XL.jpg

163 (SA 151) Natal Spurfowl. Kruger, February.

i-B495wCM-XL.jpg

164 (SA 152). Temminck's Courser. Kruger, February. Only seen in the Mopani area, but it is easily overlooked. A lifer for me.

i-J9GHXF3-XL.jpg

165 (SA 153). Verreaux's Eagle Owl. Kruger, February. Always exciting to find this giant owl with the pink eyelids.

This is the juvenile.

i-VDWGdgx-XL.jpg

And this the adult

i-XwvL2Qj-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

166 (SA 154) Southern Carmine Bee-eater. Kruger, February. We saw more than I'd anticipated, considering I'd  only seen it once in the Kruger park before. That is the advantage of being here in February, I suppose. One of my favourite species I must say.

i-w35M8kh-X2.jpg

i-PVLCBZL-X2.jpg

167 (SA 155). Black-backed Puffback. Kruger, February.

i-jdB7CVN-XL.jpg

168 (SA 156). Saddle-billed Stork. Kruger, February. Sadly enough the population of this spectacularly coloured stork is decreasing, but we were still lucky enough to see it on several occasions.

The one with the dark eyes and little yellow wattle is the male. The female has yellow eyes.

i-JStb69P-X2.jpg

And a close-up of the female

i-C3zVw3h-X2.jpg

169 (SA 157). Pied Kingfisher. Kruger, February. Widely distributed all across Africa and Asia. This is the male, with the double band.

i-HWc9n6p-X2.jpg

The typical hunting mode:

i-hn5Vrr8-XL.jpg

After a succesful dive

i-TtMd3d4-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Superb photos @PeterHG

The Carmine Bee-eaters in particular are stunning!

42 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

169 (SA 175). Pied Kingfisher.

Sorry, Peter, as much as your photo of Pied Kingfisher is superb, it does not count extra points ... go back to SA 157 :P!

Peter Connan

Fantastic photos! 

Edited by Peter Connan

michael-ibk

Love the Carmines and the Saddle-Billed! :)

Well done on the peregrine - never seen one there!

Well done. some lovely photos as usual.

I share your pain on the "Booted Eagle". I went through three books before I was convinced it was 'just' a Wahlbergs. In the end the primaries  were the deciding factor.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:32 PM, PeterHG said:

At first I thought it might be a Booted Eagle, but the longish tail and whole appearance made me decide on a light phase Wahlberg's Eagle.

A different tail shape and I would have agreed with Booted Eagle, but that longish tail, straight not fanned, suggests Wahlberg's 

171 (SA 159). Kittlitz's Plover. Kruger, February. Seen only once, at the Grootvlei Dam.

i-MLtpdGw-XL.jpg

172 (SA 160). Lesser Striped Swallow. Kruger, February

i-jBLp29g-XL.jpg

173 (SA 161) Striated Heron. Kruger, February

i-jGcVLxV-X2.jpg

174 (SA 162) Greenshank. Kruger, February.

i-Ps4CDPm-X2.jpg

175 (SA 163) African Green Pigeon. Kruger, February. 

i-GLjsXp3-XL.jpg

176 (SA 164). Emerald-spotted Wood Dove. Kruger, February. We only saw it a few times and, although I am always ready to add a dove to my collection (;)) I did not get a better opportunity

i-wFnmwwS-XL.jpg