PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

Another worthwhile excursion and the Terns are lovely.

Dave Williams

Some stunning BIF shots Peter. How many AF points do you use and what % of the screen is covered by them?

Peter Connan

Fantastic shots again Peter!

Thanks for the kind words @Galana @Peter Connan @Dave Williams

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

How many AF points do you use and what % of the screen is covered by them?

For the Tern shots against the reed background I use either 1 centre point with 4 assist point or (more frequently) 3x3 zone. C-AF sensitivity is set to -2, to avoid the focus from losing the subject too quickly.

This is the part of the screen that is covered:

i-VSc2hJG-M.jpg

michael-ibk

Super shots again Peter! 

Some great additions there - love the tern with the dragonfly

Brilliant shots!

Excellent additions Peter, really lovely photos

Thank you, @michael-ibk, @Kitsafari @shazdwn @TonyQ

On our (almost daily) walk in the Arkemheen area we came across 4 Red-crested Pochards on the outside of the dyke. An uncommon visitor and they came rather close, too.

272. Red-crested Pochard. Arkemheen, May.

i-fCD7LFQ-XL.jpg

i-DVk85GZ-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Lovely Red-crested Pochards Peter. I'm very envious.

We are seeing further easing of lockdown measures. Starting on 1st June Restaurants could open again under strict conditions, which led to all seaside terraces being full on the Monday, being a holiday. We decided to wait for Tuesday and try out a visit to the isle of Texel. We mostly spend a weekend there in spring, in fact we had a weekend booked in April, but of course we had to cancel that. On the ferry everybody had to stay inside their vehicles, which worked well. Due to the still very good weather there were quite a few people doing cycle trips, but we could mostly avoid the busy parts and even managed to have a quiet lunch on a terrace near the dunes. Enough distance between the tables and very careful service. It felt good to be able to do that again, though we also felt a little nervous about the venture. It all worked out well and we had a great day with lots of birds and even a few special ones. Not too good for photography as most of what we saw was rather distant, but who cares. We enjoyed it immensely.

273. (Pale-bellied) Brent Goose. (Branta Bernicla HrotaTexel, May. The Brent Goose is very common on the island, but this was the first time I managed to see the Pale-bellied form, from Spitsbergen and arctic Canada. It is pretty rare, though most years a few are seen there.

i-GWtfgrK-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

274 Common Linnet. Texel, May

i-WLhnstp-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

275. Arctic Tern. Texel, May. A few pairs nest on the island, but they are hard to find among the numerous Common Terns. An uncommon tern in our country

i-Cd2Ws2L-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

The rarest bird of the day was the Roseate Tern. One had been spotted mingling with the Sandwich Terns, but it took a long time before it showed. A fellow birder spotted it and alerted us to its presence and we were overjoyed with this tick. I understand it breeds on a few British island, so it might be  less rare over there. It was putting on a display for the Sandwich Terns, but got  very little response.

276. Roseate Tern. Texel, May

i-5gQL457-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

277. Grey Plover. Texel, May. A few were still around.

i-nCzFRQg-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

278. Eider. Texel May. This duck can usually be seen on the island by walking along the beaches and see them fly past. As we were trying to avoid the busy entrances to the beaches, we did not do this, but we still found this female more inland. I have to assume all of the ducklings had heads, but we could not verify.

i-cDP95q8-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

279. Common Gull. Texel, May. Not as numerous as the next one, but it does live up to its name.

i-W3DbpB4-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

280. Herring Gull . May, Texel. Ubiquitous and noisy.

i-gfdvxRQ-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

281. Sandwich Tern. Texel, May. Also a common Tern on the island and usually one of the target species to photograph. Here with a double catch, which is unusual. Nowhere near what a Puffin can do, of course...;)

i-K5MXjVM-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG
Adapted the numbering

Spoonbill. Already in the count, but certainly one of Texel's specialties.

i-5nvRsSS-X2.jpg

michael-ibk

Some great Terns Peter, never saw Roseate and Arctic. The latter one would have been guaranteed for our trip to the Faroes which was supposed to start this Friday.

I´ve read the book stuff - but how do you single out the Arctics out, what are the fieldmarks you find most helpful?

Had a good chuckle about the headless Eider chicks.:D

A great selection of Terns and beautiful photos. I have never seen a Roseate Tern

We don't see many Arctic Terns inland (saw a lot in Iceland!) - I think the easiest difference with Common Tern is the beak - Arctic Tern is usually completely red, Common Tern usually has a black tip to the beak. I think the Common also usually has more black at the end of the wings.

Thank you @michael-ibk

17 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

what are the fieldmarks you find most helpful?

For me the easiest field marks are, of course, the all-red bill and the short legs. When you see them near the Common Terns, like was the case in Texel,  it is easy to see the difference once you have found them. The bill is more reddish than orange and shorter. I know Common Terns are said to lack the black tip to the bill (although I've never come across one)so that feature alone might not be conclusive. What made it even easier was that this was a pair, both having the red bill. I do hope you'll get the chance to do your cancelled trip next year !

i-ctvwD6N-L.jpg

i-qNJqcRL-L.jpg

Peter Connan

Stunning shots Peter!

Now I am sorry for not being able to get to Texel last time. It has delivered big time to you, and weather must have been gorgeous ... as your photos are!