PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

236 Black-winged Stilt. Arkemheen, April. As a result of the inundation of several meadows 6 Black-winged Stilts stayed here for several days. I had never seen them in the area before and, although their numbers are rising slightly, they are still rare in our country.

i-SBv8V4X-XL.jpg

237. Ruff. Arkemheen, April. A regular visitor on migration, but not a breeding bird in our country anymore, unfortunately. This male already shows the start of the colourful head tufts.

i-c8xm3L8-XL.jpg

238. Common Raven. Arkemheen, April. Had also disappeared, but was reintroduced in the eighties and, though still quite scarce, can sometimes be seen in the area.

i-zDjfnzW-XL.jpg

239. Spotted Redshank. Arkemheen, April. Another first for the area and already in summer plumage.

i-ZbNJ3X3-XL.jpg

240. (Western) Yellow Wagtail. Arkemheen, April. Nog as common as its white cousin, but seen regularly.

i-4HS9DFT-XL.jpg

I've never seen a Spotted Redshank, nice looking bird.

The Arkenheem is looking like a very worthwhile project. So many 'firsts' can only mean the birds like it.

And your own efforts in capturing the results are equally commendable.

I have seen Ruff in their fancy feathers before but never a Spotted Redshank's spots.

Peter Connan

Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like a great place to visit!

Thank you, @Soukous, @Galana. @Peter Connan and yes, it's  good to have an area like that nearby.

241. Wood Pigeon. Arkemheen, April. 

i-qKwkwwp-X2.jpg

242. Eurasian Skylark. Arkemheen, April. Diminishing numbrs, but still relatively common in the area.

i-CFvh4WW-XL.jpg

Greenshank. Arkemheen, April. Already in the count form SA, but a nice find here.

i-8TLvFtp-XL.jpg

243. Common Swift. Arkemheen, May. Good to see them returning and of of course have another opportunity for the annual flight shot challenge ;)

i-G7SmWwW-XL.jpg

244. Lesser Whitethroat. Arkemheen, May. Harder to find mostly than the Common Whitethroat, but it appeared again in the same spot I found it last year.. 

i-Kc2JLdf-X2.jpg

245. Gadwall. Arkemheen, May. Not the most exciting of ducks, but there are quite a few around. I haven't tried for the male yet.

i-4NJHZsf-XL.jpg

pedro maia

Beautiful shots as allways Peter, I particularly like the wood pigeon and the swift.

michael-ibk
On 5/6/2020 at 3:08 PM, PeterHG said:

Not perfect, but who is..

Well, you are pretty close as the master of BIFs Peter! Love the Bluethroat, and some stunning shots of the Whitethroad. And you did the impossible - even impressed me with a Pigeon!

Good to hear about your local patch and that those protective measures do make a difference!

Dave Williams

You are certainly motoring on Peter. Some excellent images. I have only photographed  Spotted redshank in non breeding plumage, a very unspectacular bird, as is the Ruff. I really need to prioritise lekking Ruff in the not too distant future as my only experience brought very limited results. Fabulous looking birds and so much variety in appearance within the species too.

Thanks, @pedro maia, @michael-ibk, @Dave Williams.

246. Western Marsh Harrier. Arkemheen, May. This is one of the birds that used to breed here, but only shows up in migration time now.

i-wFQSnqj-XL.jpg

247. Sedge Warbler. Arkemheen, May. Always the first to return to the reed beds and much more common than the Reed Warbler.

i-3xx769z-XL.jpg

248. Reed Warbler. Arkemheen, May. You can mostly find one or two by their song, but as they don't do the Sedge Warbler's display flights they are much harder to photograph.

i-86K9gTn-XL.jpg

249. House Martin. Arkemheen, May. Returning later than the Barn Swallow, but I do know a spot where quite a few make their nests under the roof of an old pumping station.A good spot for photography as you can catch them returning to their nests, but unfortunately this is also known to other photographers and in these social distancing days I avoid spots where I cannot be on my own. Fortunately one morning I had a little time, before any others showed up.

i-rCQ8Lhw-XL.jpg

250. Stock Dove. Arkemheen, May. The House Martins share the location with some Stock Doves.

i-XJRTfRM-XL.jpg

Peter Connan

Stunning photos once more Peter!

More amazing photos (and250 reached!)