PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

And a few I'd seen before.

Green Woodpecker. Same distant perch as the Mistle Thrush and just as shy. 

i-ztQbSrv-XL.jpg

Common Redstart. A frequent visitor to the garden over there.

i-pWQTBZL-XL.jpg

And a Red-backed Shrike in the kind of weather we were having throughout our stay. We saw many in South Africa earlier this year, but they are quite rare in Holland and on the red list.

i-fpm7xvt-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

201. Yellowhammer.

You mean 291. Points are darn hard this year so don't throw any away!:P

But I knew what you meant.

What have you got for #300?

Thanks, @Galana

22 hours ago, Galana said:

What have you got for #300?

I'm curious, too ;)

@PeterHG, beautiful photos and some good news conservation efforts in there too, we certainly need those. 

michael-ibk

Nice additions. We used to have a small colony of Chilean Flamingos for about 20 years around Chiemsee but they seem to all have perished. Nice Honey Buzzard, a bird I´ve never been able to get a picture of.

This is what you get when it rains all day. You browse through some SA trip photos and you realize there's still one you hadn't added to the list... Taken at sunset from the bridge outside Shingwedzi Rest camp.

294 Grey Heron. Kruger NP, February

i-F45qkgR-X2.jpg

Dave Williams

Excellent as usual, very envious of the Green Woodpecker!!

I took a walk in the nearby meadow area, hoping to get one or two additions, but to no avail. I did see another Honey Buzzard, though, my second this year. When I got back I heard some noise above our garden. A Sparrowhawk was circling overhead, causing some panic among the swallows and sparrows. I managed to grab some shots. Unfortunately I still had the 2x converter attached to the lens, which is far from ideal for flight photography. In the end though, I did end up with some good shots, purely due to the fact that I had taken quite a few. So an addition after all :)

295. Eurasian Sparrowhawk. Amersfoort, July.

i-k2CZ8tx-XL.jpg

beautiful

Excellent photo, well done!

michael-ibk

Indeed - I´m jealous. :)

Really lovely picture!

Peter Connan

Beautiful shot!

Thank you @Soukous, @TonyQ, @michael-ibk, @Galana, @Zim Girl, @Peter Connan.

A cycle tour round the nearby polder area on a cloudy day was pleasant, but only produced one addition. There were still birds around, but it's getting rather quiet. 

296. Canada Goose. Arkemheen, July

i-4S7bzv3-XL.jpg

I had the camera with me, but stowed in the pannier, which is not ideal if you want to grab it quickly. Fortunately on one of my stops, there were some Oystercatchers that gave me some time to take a few nice photos. Already on the list, but I do not often get chances of shooting them so close by.

Eurasian Oystercatcher.

i-KV94wmQ-XL.jpg

i-GNT6992-X2.jpg

i-Jj7dbnN-X2.jpg

Peter Connan

Lovely shots!

297. Tree Sparrow. Arkemheen, July. Certainly not as common as they once were.

i-8qCzKHC-L.jpg

298. Short-toed Treecreeper. Leusden, July. On a walk in a nearby are this morning.

i-x7XMmLW-L.jpg

And the same walk also produced this beautiful finch. I did not see one last year, so I'm happy with the encounter.

299. Bullfinch. Leusden, July

i-f44LVsX-L.jpg

Gorgeous. I've heard them this year but not seen one.

Dave Williams

Just one more needed eh! Well done Peter.

Well, there it is, then Today, Jeannette and I made a trip to the pier of Ijmuiden, which stretches some 3 kilometres into the sea (remember @xelas, how we tried to walk there last autumn, but it was closed for renovation works?). This is a good spot in September/October for passing terns, skuas, scoters etc. In July it is usually very quiet, but the weather was excellent for a walk and there were still some Turnstones present. A common migrant and winter bird, but we do not see it in its summer plumage very often.

300. Ruddy Turnstone. IJmuiden, July.

i-f6ZsSq4-X2.jpg

i-QFKWnLN-X2.jpg

On the beach( rather distant )we found a few Sanderlings, also in summer clothes

301. Sanderling. IJmuiden, July

i-BMZFGk7-X2.jpg