Faulty starter motor, but I'll get it fixed . Soukous BY 2020

Soukous

#96 - Knysna Turaco (Loerie) - Tauraco corythaix (FTP # 35)

Wilderness, SA. Feb 2020

Although they are very common in the area around Knysna & Wilderness and I've seen them many time, somehow I've never managed to get a photo of a Knysna Turaco (Loerie).

The best place to find them is actually in people's gardens, hanging around the bird feeders, but short of jumping over the fence into the garden of someone I didn't know, there were no gardens I could get into.

I asked a mate who lives in Knysna and he recommended that I should try the Wilderness National Park. A section of the Garden Route National Park. So I did.

I set out on what sounded like a riverside trail, only to find that it was yet another scramble over rocks and amongst trees. Worse still, when we reached the point where we should have been able to cross the river (Touw River) we discovered that the crossing was no longer viable and we had to backtrack to a pontoon we had passed some while back.

However, our walk was accompanied by the almost constant soundtrack of Knysna Turacos in the trees above us. Unfortunately they were HIGH in the trees above us and the sun was behind them so mostly we only saw silhouettes.

Thanks to the marvels of Photoshop, I was able to make one shot presentable.

Knysna Turaco (Loerie)

#97 - Sombre Greenbul - Andropadus importunus (FTP #36)

Wilderness, SA. Feb 2020

The other bird that was plentiful in that park was the Sombre Greenbul. It's call seemed to be everywhere. It took a while to actually get a sighting though.

Sombre Greenbul

#98 - Brown Hooded Kingfisher - Halcyon albiventris

Wilderness, SA. Feb 2020

I was still looking for Turacos but this beauty flashed across in front of me.

Brown-headed Kingfisher

Brown-headed Kingfisher

#99 - Red-winged Starling - Onychognathus morio

Robberg Nature Reserve, SA. Feb 2020

It is not a particularly exciting photo and in fact I wasn't going to post it at all, but this is the first time I've really noticed that the female RWS has a grey mantle. 

Red-winged Starling

To celebrate the century I've got another first time post. It may even be a lifer as I cannot remember seeing one before.

#100 - Half-collared Kingfisher - Alcedo semitorquata 

Kaimans river, Western Cape. SA. Feb 2020

A pure fluke. We decided to stop for a drink at Kaimans on our way back from Wilderness. Whilst the ladies were looking at curios I sat down for a beer and noticed a kingfisher flash along the river. I had no idea what it was except that it had a bit of blue.

As we were finishing up our drinks it flashed back and I decided to see if I could track it down.

Half-collared Kingfisher

It spent a while hunting from the concrete bridge. Sadly it was middle of the day and the lighting was dreadful, but still a very happy sighting.

Half-collared Kingfisher

Half-collared Kingfisher

Edited by Soukous

Another first timer to take me into my second century. 
There is a corner of our reserve that has prolific proteas and these Sugarbirds love them.

#101 - Cape Sugarbird - Promerops cafer (FTP #37)

Klein Karoo, SA. Feb 2020

Cape Sugarbird

Cape Sugarbird

Cape Sugarbird

Cape Sugarbird

Edited by Soukous

A fitting subject to mark the Century. A lovely capture too.

Thank you @Tdgraves & @Galana.

Sadly that is just about it for my South African sightings. Just crept over the 100 mark which was nice. Now I've got to wait and see where & when I'm permitted to travel next.

Congrats on the century, very nice taht Kingfisher and also the Cape sugarbird, among others. 

Well done on the century and the Kingfisher.  The Cape Sugarbird pics are lovely.

That Kingfisher is gorgeous. Congratulations on your century mark.

Dave Williams

Yep.Nice shots of the Kingfisher and congrats on the ton.

#101 and still only in March! Congratulations on the quality but above all, on the quality of the presented photos.

48 minutes ago, xelas said:

#101 and still only in March! Congratulations on the quality but above all, on the quality of the presented photos.

Thanks Alex. The march has come to a temporary halt now. Who knows when it will resume or where we will march too. I just know I'll go crazy if I have to stay home or too long. :wacko:

Well done on reaching 100. Excellent birds, excellent photos!

Oh my. My memory is clearly not what it was nor what it should be. :wacko:

When I posted the Half-collared Kingfisher as #100 in this BY I stated that it was a first time post for this species.

Not so. I posted one in last year's BY. It wasn't as nice a photo but it was the same bird. 

Sorry 'bout that folks.

Wow that sugarbird is a stunner (bird and photo) 

26 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Wow that sugarbird is a stunner (bird and photo) 

Thanks Shaz

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

Oh my. My memory is clearly not what it was nor what it should be. :wacko:

When I posted the Half-collared Kingfisher as #100 in this BY I stated that it was a first time post for this species.

Not so. I posted one in last year's BY. It wasn't as nice a photo but it was the same bird. 

Sorry 'bout that folks.

I think a 10 species penalty should be applied.

5 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

I think a 10 species penalty should be applied.

😱😱😭😷

Peter Connan

For excellent shots like those, I don't agree...

Well done!

24 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

For excellent shots like those, I don't agree...

Anyway I think he qualifies for age exemption.;) And he DID confess before being found out.

Peter Connan

:D

michael-ibk

Congratulations on the first century - love the Kingfisher, and many really beautiful photos from South Africa, enjoyed this batch a lot!