PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

80 /NL 80. Woodlark. Leusden 5/3. We found two, already tentatively starting to sing.

i-8RH32N4-XL.jpg

On 2/28/2021 at 2:05 AM, PeterHG said:

Still the Barnacle is a handsome goose, too!

Gosh, Ill say, what a photo

• 2 weeks later...

The weather has not been inviting enough to try any more birding trips, but two days ago a Lesser Scaup had been sighted nearby. I decided to take a chance towards the end of the afternoon, as most birders would have left by then and it would mean a lifer for me. I was right about the number of watchers. Only four were still present. Unfortunately the duck had moved a lot further away and only really recognisable through the scope. I took a record shot anyway as this year I need every single count :).

This was the view through the camera with 300mm lens and 2x converter, so a 1200mm view.

i-qNH3bKG-L.jpg

And this was the extreme crop I could salvage :wacko:. Still I was happy to have seen it as it has not been reported since.

i-dJzWhrs-M.jpg

81 /NL 81. Lesser Scaup. Arkemheen, 15/3

Kalaharikind

Oh, I love your Lesser scaub: I think it beats my Cape bulbul! 

Well up in the EBC league table.

As I had nothing better to do I went back through photos I had posted in this year's thread and, as usual, I found some errors: double numbers for 10 and 62. This is a year for scraping and scrounging (:D) so I'd better rectify that by continuing with #84. Not that I photographed anything new today, but I also found some birds that I had omitted to post.... I do hope the upcoming vaccination will do wonders for the brain, too :wacko:

84 / NL 84 Greater White-fronted Goose. Arkemheen, January. Still plenty around now, but not for long.

i-sb2LCB7-L.jpg

85 /NL 85. Eurasian Wigeon. Arkemheen, March. Also still around in large numbers.

i-PtS9jK8-XL.jpg

i-ZZ2ww7Q-XL.jpg

86 /NL 86. Carrion Crow. Zeeland, February. Very common and often overlooked for photography purposes. I did like this setting, though.

i-gfCd86q-XL.jpg

Two for the price of one:

87 / NL87 Eurasian Oystercatcher

88 /NL 88 Common Redshank, Zeeland, February

i-kKbcP9v-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

89/ NL 89 Eurasian Teal. Arkemheen, March

i-zh2528z-XL.jpg

michael-ibk

Lovely photos again, especially like the flying Wigeon.

A useful exercise in tidying your files.

Some lovely photos.

Peter Connan

Beautiful shots all!

Judging by the quality and the quantity of your posts, birding and birders are business as usual in The Netherlands! Lucky guys!

Lovely photos once again. the oystercatcher looked as if it was gifting to the redshank. 

Dave Williams

Wow you are defying adversity and really moving on with your total Peter. Love the Lesser Scaup shot( I have never seen one)brings you level of photography down to the rest of us:D

Thank you @TonyQ, @michael-ibk @Galana@Peter Connan, @Kitsafari, @xelas, @Dave Williams

7 hours ago, xelas said:

birding and birders are business as usual in The Netherlands

Yes, more or less. Free to travel by car in the country. We do avoid busy areas, but it gives us a lot of freedom compared to some of you. Mind you, numbers here are rising again, but that is mainly caused by schools that have re-opened and people not keeping to the rules. I'd happily trade all of this year's photos for the chance to hold my grandson, though.

7 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Love the Lesser Scaup shot( I have never seen one)brings you level of photography down to the rest of us

I was rather hoping to climb up to your level one of these days :D

Today we went for a day-trip to an area I've never really visited before: The Biesbosch National Park about an hour's drive south from us. It is a large tidal freshwater delta comprising about 8,000 hectares of small rivers and streams. Car options are somewhat limited, but it is a great area for walking, cycling and taking a boat trip. It would definitely be a better destination a month or so from now as many of the reed birds have returned by then, but we thought we'd just go and take a look and scout the nature reserve for a future visit. Also it will be a lot busier later in the year and it was quiet now. We enjoyed the outing and I even managed a few additions.

90 /NL 90. White Wagtail. Biesbosch, 19/3

i-bgXW9Kr-L.jpg

91 /NL 91. Great Crested Grebe. Biesbosch, 19/3. Very common, also where we live.

i-tqb4KGG-XL.jpg

Dave Williams

An hour's drive...you must have been exhausted. I'd have had to make a stop on the way!

Common Kestrel. Already counted, but this female was hovering nearby.

i-LcqcmQ2-X2.jpg

And a very lucky find:

Rough-legged Buzzard. Biesbosch, 19/3. Quite distant, but it is a rare raptor in our country and I hadn't seen one for several years, so I'm happy with this one.

(I've removed the count. I'm not completely sure about the ID after all, so I'll just wait for confirmation or denial by the birding society. Perhaps some of you here might throw in an opinion, too?)

i-LvCvJKw-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Kalaharikind
3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

I'd happily trade all of this year's photos for the chance to hold my grandson, though.

I really and truly hope it happens soon - for you and for all us who miss the people we care about. Best wishes.

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Perhaps some of you here might throw in an opinion, too?)

Looks good to me. As I often remark 'what else could it be?'

That tail is a good mark even thought the moult has not finished hence the white line between primaries and coverts.

Your number should be 19/3 surely.

Beisbosch looks very convenient for a traveller coming to catch the Hull Ferry later that night and needing somewhere interesting to spend a few hours rather than wander the reclaimed lands around Europoort as is his habit. Thanks.

Edited by Galana