Let's see your wild dogs... (pics and video)

Game Warden

@@IamFisheye

The link does work - I will enjoy looking at those (in anticipation of your trip report :) )

@@dinkdunk what a lovely picture of Solo. I was very disappointed to learn when I went to Mombo in February 2014 that she had been missing for over 6 months. Glad you got a picture of her.

• 1 month later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-51059700-1431790043_thumb.jpg

~ @@IamFisheye

Your wild dog portrait has remarkable intensity.

On my large iMac monitor, it gazes out with vigilance.

Really fine photography.

Thank you.

Tom K.

• 4 months later...

post-49296-0-66211700-1444224249_thumb.jpg

Wild Dog Pups in Sabi Sands

Photographed on 3 October, 2015 at 6:17 pm in Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, Sabi Sands, South Africa with an EOS 1D X camera and a Zeiss Apo-Sonnar T* 135mm f/2 ZE telephoto lens.

ISO 200, 1/500 sec., f/2, 135mm focal length, manual focus, handheld Manual exposure.

****************************************************************************************************

~ One of the most delightful surprises during the Leopard Hills safari was the presence of African Wild Dogs with pups. They were observed every day in widely separated locations.

The pups in this image were resting and playing beside a waterhole where both hippos and crocodiles were present. Most adults were away hunting.

The quality of the wild dog sightings was exceptional, in terms of duration and proximity. Both adults and pups were numerous, seemingly in excellent health.

@@Tom Kellie I am utterly jealous.

http://safaritalk.net/topic/11748-share-your-latest-sightings/page-2#entry173510 Post #31

~ @@Kitsafari

Please see the above for more information and another image.

The Leopard Hills stay was overwhelmingly about wild dogs, cheetahs, leopards and cheetahs...in that order.

I wish that all Safaritalk members had been along for the fun!

Fortunately, there are many photos and it will be the subject of the next trip report.

Tom K.

ok that's it, I have to go back to the Sabi Sands! @@Tom Kellie they are so cute!!

@@Kitsafari YOU don't get to be jealous, Missie - you were just there and saw dogs!! AND LEOPARD CUBS!

@@SafariChick

@@Kitsafari YOU don't get to be jealous, Missie - you were just there and saw dogs!! AND LEOPARD CUBS!

But not wild dog pups......

~ @@SafariChick and @@Kitsafari

Do I dare tell you that tonight I booked a return to Leopard Hills in late January for more than one week?

Those wild dog pups certainly have motivated me!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie Wow! SO I guess you liked it! Can't wait to hear more. I need to figure out how to go on as many safaris as you, Tom!

@@Tom Kellie cant wait to hear how you found leopard hills lodge. :)

are you back in Beijing already?

@@Tom Kellie Wow! SO I guess you liked it! Can't wait to hear more. I need to figure out how to go on as many safaris as you, Tom!

~ @@SafariChick

I more than liked it...I LOVED it !!!!!!!!!!

The entire experience exceeded all expectations.

A fresh trip report will be written and uploaded about the game drives, as well as a lodge review.

The quality of the sightings was as fine as any I've ever previously experienced.

The overall health and condition of the wildlife was IMPRESSIVE.

I had the sense that there was more to see, hence will return three months later, doubling my length of stay.

Tom K.

fictionauthor

I more than liked it...I LOVED it !!!!!!!!!!

The entire experience exceeded all expectations.

A fresh trip report will be written and uploaded about the game drives, as well as a lodge review.

The quality of the sightings was as fine as any I've ever previously experienced.

The overall health and condition of the wildlife was IMPRESSIVE.

I had the sense that there was more to see, hence will return three months later, doubling my length of stay.

Tom K.

I can't wait!!!

@@Tom Kellie cant wait to hear how you found leopard hills lodge. :)

are you back in Beijing already?

~ @@Kitsafari

Yes, I taught all of my courses last Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning.

I didn't feel jet-lagged as I slept well during the butter-smooth 13-hour flight across the Indian Ocean to Hong Kong, before heading north to Beijing.

The lodge was everything I might dream of...and MORE.

Nothing excessive, nothing lacking.

The suite was beyond all imagining, with everything immaculate, comfortable and very well thought out.

True confession — I used the plunge pool twice a day throughout my stay.

The game drives? WOW!

Spring was such a lovely time to be there, but the prospect of seeing the area during summertime has enticed me to book a return visit three months from now.

Tom K.

I can't wait!!!

~ @@fictionauthor

I'm gearing up for the next trip report.

Happily, there was a respectable ‘keeper rate’ of the photos taken there.

Use of Zeiss manual focus lenses brought up image quality.

All safaris are magic in their own way. This one was dazzlingly so!

Tom K.

• 1 month later...

20 wild dogs, South Luangwa NP, November 2015.

This image is a composite of 5 other images to show how they were spread out on the sand

post-6761-0-42486300-1449002972_thumb.jpg

~ @@Paul T

I have no idea how such an image would be made, from a technical perspective.

Nevertheless, I'm impressed by it as a large-scale record of behavior.

Thank you so much for creating it and posting it for Safaritalk members and visitors to enjoy.

Tom K.

@@Paul T incredible! thanks for putting them together to show how spread out they were. I like it that you've very helpfully numbered the dogs which meant I wouldn't mistake that log for the dog!

Which part of SLNP did you see them? it looks like you either took the pictures from the air or from a very high location?

Edited by Kitsafari

@@Paul T incredible! thanks for putting them together to show how spread out they were. I like it that you've very helpfully numbered the dogs which meant I wouldn't mistake that log for the dog!

Which part of SLNP did you see them? it looks like you either took the pictures from the air or from a very high location?

~ @@Paul T

I have no idea how such an image would be made, from a technical perspective.

Nevertheless, I'm impressed by it as a large-scale record of behavior.

Thank you so much for creating it and posting it for Safaritalk members and visitors to enjoy.

Tom K.

Thanks for the comments.

The images were all taken from the top of a Luangwa river bank. This pack were near the Chichele area of SLNP. If you’ve been to SLNP and have ever used the river crossing at Nkwali Pontoon and crossed over to the area by the “bent” electricity pylon, dogs were seen a bit further upstream from the pylon. We saw the same pack about a week later and they had moved much further downstream; we were out on an all day game drive, we had finished our lunch break and were heading back and literally within 1 minute of setting off our ZAWA scout saw them resting under the shade of a tree not far from where we had stopped for lunch. We managed to get quite close to them and watched them for about 20 mins, they were quite chilled out with us being there.

post-6761-0-99855000-1449051003_thumb.jpg

Tom K …. the process I used is a bit of a shortcut version of stitching images together to create a panorama. I did some searching on YouTube and found some good tutorials such as this one …. www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxR32MbOetY

~ @@Paul T

Thank you for letting me know how the panorama was made.

In the country where I work and live, YouTube isn't available.

Nonetheless I'm grateful for the tutorial link which may benefit other interested Safaritalk members and visitors.

That's a superb daylight sighting of the wild dogs.

I'm presently uploading wild dog images in a South Africa trip report.

As the images were made at around 7 pm, the low light had quite an impact on their quality, unlike your fine photograph.

Tom K.

Hi Tom,

Apologies about the YouTube link, I should've realised that your location doesn't allow you access.

But do an internet search for "stitch images in Photoshop" or "merge images in Photoshop" and you should find some websites than can give you info.

• 3 weeks later...

Moremi Botswana. The pack was 18 but it was very difficult to get them all in. Pen

post-17162-0-55655400-1450713388_thumb.jpgpost-17162-0-91001600-1450713407_thumb.jpg

~ @@penolva

Great wild dog images!

The first one looks like a meeting of the Moremi chapter of the Mickey Mouse Club.

Thank you for sharing these.

Tom K.