Let's see your wild dogs... (pics and video)

Game Warden

For a video somewhere of Wild Dogs attacking the 3 brothers at Kwara.

Peter Connan

We're off to Hwange and Mana Pools next week and I've been picking through last year's Botswana shots for inspiration.

You need inspiration? For Mana? :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy it almost as much as I would have.

Selous, November 2009

Tanz09_025.jpg

Tanz09_032.jpg

Tanz09_036.jpg

Tanz09_041.jpg

And even older ones from the Linyanti, Botswana. Nov 2007

Bots07_0366.JPG

Bots07_0369.jpg

Bots07_0368.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't get a lot of good dog sightings last week at Mana. The Vundu Pack had just gone nomadic and had moved the pups from the den. The Kanga Pack hadn't been seen for weeks, it was thought they were denning in the hunting zone.

We did run into six of the Vundu pack one morning, here's one of the few shots I got 15298024815_54a58d776b_z.jpg

Morkel Erasmus

This one is fresh from Mana Pools (well, a month old actually)...

Nyakasanga pack made 4 kills in 10 minutes and we arrived just in time to see them polishing off the last 2 (we searched for them close to our camp at Old Ndungu 1 where they had come through most mornings during that week, this morning they circumevented and came out hunting behind Mucheni 1... :o

post-14617-0-53813200-1412601274_thumb.jpg

Peter Connan

@@Morkel Erasmus this is fabulous!

May i ask what focal length and aperture this was shot at?

time to get wake up......Selinda area 2010

post-17651-0-89288600-1412618113_thumb.jpg

Morkel Erasmus

@@Morkel Erasmus this is fabulous!

May i ask what focal length and aperture this was shot at?

Thanks mate.

500mm, f6.3

The Linyanti Pack chasing some Red lechwe along the Linyanti Marsh. I like the lead dog on two legs as he watched in disbelief as the Lechwe escaped into deeper waters.

post-48633-0-44479000-1412952452_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons why Linyanti is one of my favourite places is because of the opportunities to photograph Wild dogs in water. There is a spot along the Linyanti Marsh where they always try their luck on a herd of Rd Lechwe who will take to water as soon as the dogs are in sight.

post-48633-0-19438500-1413105784_thumb.jpg

I have followed many wild dog hunts but somehow I never had a shot of the lead just as he catches the prey. I always arrived when blood and guts were everywhere or the kill was taking place in an area where photography was impossible. I got lucky earlier this year when on my way back to camp on a cloudy morning, I stumbled onto this chase.

post-48633-0-35249600-1413278408_thumb.jpg

Gripping photo...is that a Tsessebe calf?
Which of the Linyanti camps do you work at, also? :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments gentlemen, @Big Dog, it was indeed a Tsessebe calf. I was based full time at Dumatau camp at the time...

• 2 weeks later...
Dulini Moments

A bit more Cheetah than Dog in this photo but I was lucky to see a bit of a turf are between a pack of dogs and a Cheetah. They never made any serious advance on the Cheetah, but wanted to flush him from the area as there were some Wart Hogs that the dogs were keen on nearby....

gallery_48813_1146_1356485.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wild Dog puppy at Kwara with remainings of a freshly killed Kudu bull

gallery_5715_1153_63382.jpg

Great sequence, @@Wild Dogger , very much enjoying your latest Kwara installments. Were you there just this November? Can we look forward to a full-blown trip report again this time?

Thanks @@michael-ibk.
Yes just this November.
Will have to sort out pics first, then I promise to post a TR.

@@michael-ibk I'm glad I don't always have to be the one to nag members for their trip reports :)