Let's see your wild dogs... (pics and video)

Game Warden

As a happy snapper I am in full admiration of all these pictures, thank you all for posting them.

Like most, for me the dogs are so special.

Nappa, I recall you had some pretty good dog shots as well...

The Kafue National Park in the rainy season is arguably one of th best places to see Wild Dogs. I took this shot last week. I sat alone with this pack for the whole day. They are a pack of 12, 7 youngsters and 5 adults. 1 of the adults unfortunately is trying to survive with just 2 legs! Both lost to snares...

post-15543-0-20915700-1326878982_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Mukambi Safari Lodge

Kafue National Park in the rainy season is an exceptional place to see Wild Dog, and with the colours of that time of year, grass and rainbow in this case, it gives the whole place a very magical feel.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks - didn't know that. I was under the impression Kafue was inaccessible during the rainy months and all lodges closed?

• 1 month later...
MisterAviator

Meet one of the top wild dog researchers in this video featuring images I shot in Botswana and Zambia:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by MisterAviator

Here is my offering from my trip to Botswana last month. Perhaps it should become an Olympic event!! :D Pen

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Morkel Erasmus

Okay, my turn here. Before June 2012 I had a dismal portfolio of Wild Dog images. They were just avoiding me in Kruger, they avoided me in Savute and I only saw them once in Madikwe in late morning light in long grass, resulting in average photos at best.

This changed in June 2012. How? I visited Mana Pools in Zimbabwe. More specifically, I spent 2 afternoons on my stomach in a sandy riverbed with a small pack, at times a mere 10m from the Alpha Male (he approached us, we had leopard-crawled to a position about 30m from them). It gave me a passion for these animals to be so close to them on foot and observe them intimately.

Here are some of the photos from those 2 afternoons...

wilddog_profile_4_ManaPools_2012.jpg

wilddog_profile_3_ManaPools_2012.jpg

wilddog_portrait_1_ManaPools_2012.jpg

wilddog_stretch_1_mono_ManaPools_2012.jpg

wilddog_running_1_ManaPools_2012.jpg

wilddog_approach_1_ManaPools_2012.jpg

Edited by Morkel Erasmus

• 3 weeks later...

Kwando Lagoon

I am happy with my new 5d MKIII. This shot was taken as it was almost dark @ ISO 3200!!

8245937777_185e7ca5d7_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Call me, OK?

post-17725-0-59269100-1356314704.jpg

African Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus)

-15.85925,29.13542 (15°51'33.3"S 029°08'07.5"E)

October 2012 5:48pm

D4 + Nikkor 200-400/f4 VR2

1/1250s f5.0 400mm ISO 10,000

Awww- where from John?

SG - what? You cannot read GPS coordinates? :-D

Sorry, I left out "Ruckomechi at Mana Pools, Zimbabwe" in the description

Edited by johnkok

Meet one of the top wild dog researchers in this video featuring images I shot in Botswana and Zambia:

[media]

[/media]

Great video! I like how you juxtaposed the interview footage with the footage of the dogs. Which camps in Botswana and Zambia is the footage from?

8329696500_2ee067bd32_c.jpg

Love this - it is so interesting to see th dog interaction; my lab won't play with any dogs. She knows humans carry the treats.

Stalking....Vumbura Plains, Botswana

Nov. 2012

gallery_5364_754_60907.jpg

Stalking....Vumbura Plains, Botswana

Nov. 2012

Beautifully lined up trio. Wonderful shot

• 4 weeks later...
This is my first post here so please be gentle!!!!

I am fortunate to have made self-supported visits to Mana Pools most Octobers over the last 12 years. I really must try to visit some other areas / Parks (South Luangwa is high on my list) but Mana has spoiled me - I love the freedom the Park affords visitors, and having got used to walking (unarmed / unguided) in the bush the thought of being confined to a vehicle really doesn't appeal at all.

Anyway, to the main point of my post....a few snaps from my visit in October 2012, all taken with a Canon 5D mkIII and a Canon EF100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 lens.

It was a fairly chaotic scene, but here was practically no squabbling between the dogs. However I found it quite difficult to photograph from my perch on a fallen tree, with dogs here, there and everywhere. Of the African animals I have encountered Painted Dogs are my favourite - they generally just seem to accept people amoungst them so long as you are quiet and don't make any sudden moves.

The scene that greeted us - impala can only have been down a minute or two:
8185684888_05a8a8f149_b.jpg

2R4C7927 by Whyone, on Flickr

8185695230_c9b9b7b048_b.jpg

2R4C7917 by Whyone, on Flickr

Wonder what happens if I pull on this?

8185603981_c1539f315d_b.jpg

2R4C7931 by Whyone, on Flickr

Ooops!:

8185595415_76b87ff304_b.jpg

2R4C7932 by Whyone, on Flickr

There goes another leg!!

8185582667_77916d6a64_b.jpg

2R4C7941 by Whyone, on Flickr

One of the youngsters:

8185563627_61bec6a69a_b.jpg

2R4C7999 by Whyone, on Flickr

Nice to get a little early morning sunlight:

8185555467_d5b357f6b2_b.jpg

2R4C8005 by Whyone, on Flickr

The dogs made very short work of the impala - this is all that was left after 20 minutes:

8185546359_9a697c44c0_b.jpg

2R4C8043 by Whyone, on Flickr

Well that's a humdinger of a first post. Welcome to Safaritalk. Keep posting more pics like these please :)

Matt

Hello! Lovely photos and that's a big pack. Do you know which one it is?

Hello you!

Just to explain, it is thanks to Stokeygirl that I found may way to this fascinating site.

I am reasonably certain that it is the Vundu pack.

We see Painted Dog most years at Mana, but I was a little concerned early in this trip. Speaking to a guide we have got to know as we checked in at the parks office we were told there hadn't been any sightings for two weeks or so. We ended up seeing this pack on 5 of our 8 days visiting the park.