Show us your leopard pics...

Game Warden

@@Kitsafari

The Lions were too busy chasing the two other males off. I dont think they even noticed the Leopard.

A couple of minutes before the incident we had one of the males roaring only a few meters from our vehicle. No tv program even gets close to the sensation of hearing a male Lion roaring so close. You can feel the vibrations in your body!

@@Tom Kellie

Thank you for the kind words

@@Kitsafari

The Lions were too busy chasing the two other males off. I dont think they even noticed the Leopard.

A couple of minutes before the incident we had one of the males roaring only a few meters from our vehicle. No tv program even gets close to the sensation of hearing a male Lion roaring so close. You can feel the vibrations in your body!

@@Tom Kellie

Thank you for the kind words

~ @mvecht:

Throughout the day I've been gradually working my way through a stack of more than 200 student mid-term assignments.

It's not the most scintillating task, therefore twice when I needed a laugh I returned to your post to look at the photo...and laugh again.

I really love such improbable zaniness.

Tom K.

KaingU Lodge

A few from the Musanza/Ntemwa area of Kafue NP.

6651745061_36f6c960a9_b.jpg

Last%2BKLP%2BCollaring%2B6.jpg

Last%2BKLP%2BCollaring%2B8.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

@@mvecht - Not sure if I'm going blind, but where is the leopard under the vehicle? Can't pinpoint it?

@@Big_Dog

No, it is not that easy.

Unfortunately I can not crop the picture any further.

The head of the Leopard is more or less under the two vertical lines in the door.The backend of the leopard is under the "O" in Kwando.

post-5254-0-63628700-1429606642_thumb.jpg

post-49296-0-23094400-1429736705_thumb.jpg

~ @@KaingU Lodge:

Well look at that!

Stunning! I had no idea that such a domestic scene might ever be observed, let alone photographed.

I like everything about it — color tones, lighting, focus and the three subjects.

Thank you for this!

Tom K.

post-49296-0-21922000-1429737004_thumb.jpg

~ @mvecht:

In my delight in your one-of-a-kind leopard hiding from lions image, I neglected to mention how much I liked this image.

The facial expression and crossed paws made look fetching.

This is one of the most charming predator images I've seen.

From an anthropomorphic perspective, one might regard it as looking wistful over something lost...like a small gazelle that scampered away!

Thank you for this nice image from years past.

Tom K.

• 3 weeks later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-52177000-1431300589_thumb.jpg

Awakening from a Postprandial Nap

Photographed in Masai Mara National Reserve on 3 May, 2015 at 9:14 am with an EOS 1D Mark IV camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 8000, 1/8000 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

***********************************************************************************************

This leopard had been sleeping when we encountered it, not far from the sausage tree where the remains of an infant waterbuck hung.

There was no crowd around, thus the leopard appeared unstressed, almost languid, as it shook out the cobwebs to begin another day.

madaboutcheetah

@@mvecht - OMG. What a brilliant sighting - is that Justice in the tracker position in that vehicle?

@@madaboutcheetah

Hello Hari

Welcome back from what sounds like a brilliant safari.

Correct. Justice is the tracker and Mothusi is the guide.

• 2 weeks later...
Morkel Erasmus

Great photos everyone!!

Here's a recent one from the Sabi Sands - the Dayone male...

Enjoy!

post-14617-0-30275500-1432205742_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

That's a big boy!!!

That's a big boy!!!

And scowling; usually they look intense or bored. This was is just scowling :angry:

Tom Kellie

That's a big boy!!!

And scowling; usually they look intense or bored. This was is just scowling :angry:

~ @@graceland

Don't they?

I never thought about it, but they do so often affect a blasé countenance.

Good insight!

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

Here's a recent one from the Sabi Sands - the Dayone male...

post-49296-0-32070000-1432563927_thumb.jpg

~ @@Morkel Erasmus

I don't know how you do it, but somehow you manage to bring out something more from your subjects.

Gotta tell you that I look at your images on my computer screen and smile, glad to know such a talented photographer.

Sabi Sands is very high on my “someday” list. Your superb scowling leopard image intensifies that.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-71904300-1432597563_thumb.jpg

Panthera pardus in Partial Shade

Photographed at 5:01 pm on 28 April, 2015 in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/1000 sec., f/4, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*************************************************************************************************

We safari folk are sometimes a peculiar lot. If others are asked if they ‘remember their first’, as often as not they fondly recall their first stolen kiss.

By contrast, when we're asked if we remember ‘our first’, what may spring to mind might be a kudu, a pangolin, a bongo, a gorilla, or a leopard.

This leopard was my first...

• 1 month later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-56630200-1436004537_thumb.jpg

Sleepy-time in Samburu

Photographed at 6:19 pm on 28 April, 2014 in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, 1/50 sec., f/4, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

This is the same leopard shown in the preceding photo, later in the early evening. It had found a comfortable resting-place up in a tree where it proceeded to nap.

The relaxed stance, with a leg hanging downward reflects the satisfaction of occasionally doing nothing. Life has enough cares as it is. A carefree snooze is a joy!

Peter Connan

Like an old rug! Love the way you have captured the leopard's ability to relax dspite what must in real terms be a very uncomfortable position.

• 3 weeks later...
Wild Dogger

Going down

Close to Lion Camp, South Luangwa NP

the spot light had a red filter mounted, might be a bit to reddish, what do you think?

gallery_5715_1316_494383.jpg

Edited by Wild Dogger

africaaddict

Going down

Close to Lion Camp, South Luangwa NP

the spot light had a red filter mounted, might be a bit to reddish, what do you think?

I think you've done quite well, considering the red filter, you could still reduce the reds by a few more points, still evident in the tree trunk, an easy fix.

Nicely seen WD.

Edited by africaaddict

africaaddict

Leopardess takes the trunk road.

One of the highlights of my return to Ruaha NP for the green season was this leopardess descent from this giant baobab.

The structure of the unique baobab trees gives plenty of toe-holds for these agile climbers and she was certainly an expert in that regard.

Note the damage to the base here, caused by ele's stripping the outer layers.
Ruaha NP- Tanzania

D3s 80-400 AF-S 1/320s f/5.6 ISO4000@ 240mm.

D3S_1326-XL.jpg

D3S_1328-XL.jpg

D3S_1330-XL.jpg

D3S_1341-XL.jpg

D3S_1343-XL.jpg

D3S_1357-XL.jpg

D3S_1359a-XL.jpg

D3S_1362-XL.jpg

D3S_1364-XL.jpg

D3S_1365-XL.jpg

Cheers

Marc

Seronera February 2013

DSC_0065-XL.jpg

This was in the Ndutu woodlands. Early morning. Fun for us with this is being able to see our reflection in her pupils.

DSC_1468%20%282%29%20%28640x424%29-M.jpg

And a couple more simply because...

DSC_1500%20%282%29%20%28378x640%29-L.jpg

DSC_4662%20%28640x578%29-M.jpg

@@Wild Dogger

I am amazed how well you have done with the red spotlight. I would be really impressed even if you had said it was an ordinary spotlight!

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_5715_1316_374523.jpg

Female Leopard cub close to Lion Camp, South Luangwa.

Again with red filter on the spotlight.