Birds In Flight... Upload your photos.

Game Warden

Beautiful shots of the Avocets and we have the same uncooperative Kestrels over here...

offshorebirder

Looks like the Avocet was vocalizing in a couple of the shots @Soukous.   Well done.

The Northern Shoveler remains one of my favourite Ducks. I flushed this one by accident as I was driving past a ditch in the meadows and managed to grab a shot through the open window.

P5040255-Edit-X2.jpg

Peter Connan

Stunning shot Peter

14 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Stunning shot Peter

agreed!

pedro maia
15 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Stunning shot Peter

And he was just passing by...

nothing new for the BY yet, so I thought I'd test the Flickr settings...

49938278518_3da02c90f6_b.jpg7T4A4563 by tdgraves, on Flickr

this one is twice the size with better resolution. Does it still load fast?

49938803976_a3ae24f810_k.jpg7T4A4563a by tdgraves, on Flickr

Edited by Tdgraves

47 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

@Tdgraves they both loaded instantly on my iPad 

on mine too. Interesting that on the pc the second photo is literally double the width but on the iPad, no different!

some Common Terns from yesterday. I was fortunate, they were diving for fish on both sides of the bridge so I got a variety of backgrounds. Not all of them worked but overall a vary satisfactory half hour.

Common Tern

common-tern6

Common Tern

Common Tern

Common Tern

Edited by Soukous

Peter Connan

Cracking shots!

This year I'm still waiting for a good Kestrel sighting ( from a photography point of view). There are plenty of them about but always pretty distant and with the light behind them. Always a pleasure to watch them though and fun to try and get a decent shot.

Another batch of 'almosts' yesterday afternoon.

Common Kestrel

Common Kestrel

Common Kestrel

Common Kestrel

Mute Swans too are in abundance this year, or maybe I'm just noticing them more because I am spending more time out on foot.

Mute Swan

Mute Swan

Mute Swan

michael-ibk

Not an uncommon bird but frustratingly difficult to see, let alone get  a decent picture. Yesterday morning I was lucky finally.

TL8A7031-1.jpg.3973dca8793df047bae1faff182f9e07.jpg

Peter Connan

Stunning!

21 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Not an uncommon bird but frustratingly difficult to see, let alone get  a decent picture

agreed. I wish I had your luck. Or maybe I just need to try harder. :wacko:

offshorebirder

Holy crap! that is a good shot @michael-ibk 

A useful little video tutorial from Steve Perry for those of you that haven't seen it.

offshorebirder

Thanks @Soukous - that is a very useful video - concentrated stuff!

I only disagree with a couple of his points - matrix metering and turning off image stabilization for BIF.    He should have at least qualified the second point - as someone who shoots a lot from boats, vehicles with engines running, not-totally-stable observation decks / towers, etc. I need IS for BIF at least as much as I could get away without it.

And I find the scenarios where you can shoot BIF with a tripod to be pretty limited.

Edited by offshorebirder

13 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

And I find the scenarios where you can shoot BIF with a tripod to be pretty limited.

Agreed, BIF usign a tripod, even an expensive one like his, rarely feels comfortable; mainly because instead of rotating your torso to follow a bird you have to scoot around the tripod.

I think what he said was to turn off the IS when you are using shutter speeds of 1/2000 and above, rather than in all cases.

On the metering front, I mostly use spot metering for BIF, and in fact for just about all bird photos, it works for me. On the basis of the video I will give Matrix metering a try though

Edited by Soukous

offshorebirder
4 hours ago, Soukous said:

I think what he said was to turn off the IS when you are using shutter speeds of 1/2000 and above, rather than in all cases.

In my experience, 1/2000 (especially without IS) is often not fast enough for BIF in a bouncing boat, vibrating vehicle, etc.

I try for 1/3200 or 1/4000 sec on pelagic birding trips for example.

37 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

I try for 1/3200 or 1/4000 sec on pelagic birding trips for example.

no problem, as long as you've got bright light and a fast lens

I love Steve Perry (especially as he's Nikon-centric) but here's another good BIF video which I received yesterday. This is another favorite bird photographer of mine, Jan Wegner, although his approach is vastly different than most--he shoots mostly birds on perches which he sets up. Still, I follow him and like his work a lot, and he has some excellent instructional videos. Also being in Australia he always has incredible subjects to choose from :)

Peter Connan
8 hours ago, Soukous said:

On the metering front, I mostly use spot metering for BIF, and in fact for just about all bird photos, it works for me. On the basis of the video I will give Matrix metering a try though

Had a similar conversation with @Elsa Hoffmann the other day.

I use Matrix almost exclusively. Reasons are that a lot of what I do is swallows and swifts at stupid distances. So targets too small  and too fast for me to keep the spot on, and because I am not clever enough to keep track of too many different settings.

Take note though, I expect it does mean that you end up changing compensation more. Which I also often forget about...