Birds In Flight... Upload your photos.

Game Warden

offshorebirder
3 hours ago, Soukous said:

no problem, as long as you've got bright light and a fast lens

And if I don't have enough light - all the more reason to leave  IS turned on!

offshorebirder

For what it's worth @janzin - Steve Perry's example photos in his BIF video SMOKE those in Jan Wegner's video...

Not sure I agree with that @offshorebirder  Just about all of Steve Perry's shots are large birds...egrets, ducks, eagles etc. Much easier to shoot in flight than some of the smaller birds Jan has.  Anyway, they have two totally different styles. Both have something to offer.

10 hours ago, janzin said:

Just about all of Steve Perry's shots are large birds...egrets, ducks, eagles etc

I did wonder about the prevelence of egrets in Steve Perry's tutorial. I put it down to the fact that if you can get the exposure on large white birds against dark backgrounds - and make the whokle photo look good - correct everything else is easy (ier)

With the rain teeming down outside and the opportunities for local birding on hold I decided to go back and revisit photos from previous trips overseas.

In particular a trip to India in spring 2018. Just to make it interesting, I deleted all the jpegs I'd created and started again from the RAW files.

I only saw 1 Indian Skimmer on the whole trip. I expected to see more but they never showed up, so I was happy I grabbed lots of shots of this one, and its one pass along the river at Satpura. 

Indian Skimmer

Indian Skimmer

Indian Skimmer

Indian Skimmer

Indian Skimmer

Indian Skimmer

Indian Skimmer

Indian Skimmer

Indian Skimmer

Peter Connan

Love the first one. Very unique!

Dave Williams

@Soukous Very nice Martin, only seen them once and they were past me before I had realised as they flew so low, must check out those shots again but I think they are beyond recovery!! They are high on my hit list whatever sub species they happen to be.

Another outing yesterday. I'm making the most of the good weather as we keep being told it will end imminently.

I was hoping to see & photograph some Roseate Terns that have been spotted on a few occasions. For a few brief moments I thought I might have succeeded; but closer inspection showed that I had not. Just more Common Terns.

Common Tern

Common Tern

Common Tern

Common Tern

Common Tern

I was standing on a footpath between the area where they were nesting, which was out of sight, and the sea, which was also out of sight, trying to catch them as they flew overhead to feed.

Ideally I would have liked to catch them coming back with fish as that would have given me the best light, but there was a brisk offshore breeze that meant they were coming in too fast for me to pick them up in time.

Good fun though, and good practice.

There were some Sandwich terns in amongst them too

Sandwich Tern

Sandwich Tern

After a windy and rainy day the late afternoon gave us some blue skies and an invitation to venture out.

North Warren is not far away and , although all RSPB hides are currently closed, there is a nice viewing platform overlooking the reed beds. In the late afternoon the sun is pretty much behind the platform so good for photos.

There was far less activity than I'd hoped for, but a pair of Marsh Harriers provided entertainment. They were a bit distant, so large crops needed, but the light was great.

first the female

Marsh Harrier - f

Marsh Harrier - f

Marsh Harrier - f

Marsh Harrier - f

then later on the male took to the air

Marsh Harrier - m

Marsh Harrier - m

Marsh Harrier - m

Marsh Harrier - m

Always a beautiful sight, these Harriers. Great shots in spite of the distance, especially the first photo of the male! Its head looks much darker than how I usually see them.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:06 PM, PeterHG said:

Always a beautiful sight, these Harriers. Great shots in spite of the distance, especially the first photo of the male! Its head looks much darker than how I usually see them.

Thanks Peter. I haven't seen many males but I have been a little surprised how pale the heads of the females have been this year.

• 1 month later...

This morning I spent half an hour or so trying to capture a landing sequence of a juvenile Barn Swallow. Quite  a few times they decided to land outside my chosen pre-focused area, but in the end one or two obliged

P7290205-Edit-X2.jpg

P7290206-Edit-X2.jpg

P7290207-Edit-X2.jpg

P7290208-Edit-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

beautiful Peter, persistence pays off.

Peter Connan

Beautiful indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

She certainly has some great shots to back up her tips!

A red kite (Milvus milvus) photographed in February at Gigrin Farm, mid-Wales where they have been feeding kites at the same time every day for several years. They are credited with much of the responsibility for the successful reintroduction of the birds to Wales.

MFH_2319.jpg.2ccc8cd934e3c9c9eea166ea51bb64d5.jpg 

• 4 weeks later...

A bonus bird from this afternoon.

Kestrel, East Lane, Bawdsey, Suffolk

Kestrel

My morning walks are producing fewer and fewer new species - as in none at all :(

But I did see these 2 pass overhead.

Shingle Street, Suffolk

Mute Swans in flight

Mute Swans in flight

It was a little bit far off, but it is recognisable

Curlew, flying over the marshes at Shingle Street

Curlew

Curlew

• 2 weeks later...

Gannets

North Berwick, Scotland

Gannet