Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

35 / Nam 17. Common Tern. January, Walvis Bay

i-4mJrzxR-XL.jpg

36 / Nam 18. Kelp Gull. January, Walvis Bay. They do look very similar to our Black-backed Gull.

i-vVVz38Q-X2.jpg

Some great additions already. I can see we are going to be in for a treat.

37 / Nam 19. Great White Pelican. January, Walvis Bay. We did a boat trip to Pelican Point and, of course, there were pelicans. Actually they were fed form the boat, so came very close. In spite of their bulky appearance they are graceful flyers,

i-XXJRfNx-X2.jpg

i-QSCRL3Q-X2.jpg

Welcome back, Peter, I take it you had a splendid time? Some gorgeous shots already, love the Pelican, and - surprisingly - the Gull portrait. Looking forward to finding out how many of your 200somethings you got pictures of, I expect many many many!

Dave Williams

Cracking stuff, I have run out of "likes" today as well.

19 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Welcome back, Peter, I take it you had a splendid time? Some gorgeous shots already, love the Pelican, and - surprisingly - the Gull portrait. Looking forward to finding out how many of your 200somethings you got pictures of, I expect many many many!

Thanks @Dave Williams and @michael-ibk. Yes, Michael, we had a wonderful trip. I’ll try and do a trip report once I’ve worked my way through the photos. May take a little while....

38 / Nam 20 Common Waxbill. January, Swakopmund. In de garden of our B&B.

i-fMZMq4G-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

39 / Nam 21. Orange River White-eye. January, Swakopmund. Yet another lifer for me. The only one we saw.

i-9PDv5zP-XL.jpg

40 / Nam 22. White-backed Mousebird. January, Swakopmund. Not a great photo, but I think it's the best I got. If I come across a better one later on, I'll post it.

i-HRvXXRF-XL.jpg

41 / Nam 23. Curlew Sandpiper. January, Swakopmund. We visited the Swakopmund saltworks, north of the town. Not as extensive as in Walvis Bay, but certainly worth a visit. The one in the foreground is a Kittlitz Plover, so I'll add that here.

i-T8Z4jhW-X2.jpg

42 / Nam 24. Kittlitz Plover

i-t9XP4XZ-XL.jpg

43 / Nam 25. Cape Teal. January, Swakopmund.

i-dJ8xdpD-X2.jpg

44 /Nam 26. Greater Flamingo. January, Swakopmund. Present in substantial numbers in both Swakopmund and Walvis Bay.

i-PvdW4x6-X2.jpg

45 / Nam 27. Lesser Flamingo. January, Swakopmund. With their red eye and dark bill. And their pink colour is more intense.

i-f76pgqT-X2.jpg

46 / Nam 28. Grey Heron. January, Swakopmund. So common over here that I almost forgot to take a shot.

i-drZZFt8-XL.jpg

47 / Nam 29. Swift Tern. January, Swakopmund. Also known as Greater Crested Tern.

i-Rr8kdhL-X2.jpg

i-c5bQCbP-X2.jpg

48 / Nam 30. White-breasted Cormorant. January, Swakopmund.

i-SmLP6zV-XL.jpg

49 / Nam 31. Common Greenshank. January, Walvis Bay. Nice to see them so well, so far away from home.

i-TnLk3dG-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

50 / Nam 32. Little Egret. January, Walvis Bay. I'm sure I'll see them again before the year is over. The Great White Egret is more common over here, but in some areas the Little Egret boutnumbers them.

i-dwmzJxq-XL.jpg

51 / Nam 33. Peregrine Falcon (juv). January, Walvis Bay. Sitting quietly at the edge of the salt pans and allowing us to get a close look at him.

i-rf3HLgS-X2.jpg

52 / Nam 34. Little Stint. January, Walvis Bay.

i-jSSFMHh-XL.jpg

53 / Nam 35. Grey Plover. January, Walvis Bay. Well it was a day for the waders.

i-x4sVKTJ-X2.jpg

54 / Nam 36. Chestnut-banded Plover. January, Walvis Bay. Another one I had never seen before. Beautiful little bird.

i-qDPrD4Q-XL.jpg

55 / Nam 37. Sanderling. January, Walvis Bay. 

i-CcnSDkt-XL.jpg