GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

But I am proud anyway @Galanaas a rookie that I discovered after a while that it wasn't really a Gull as everybody even the most experienced birders were thinking and moreover in my order of preferences the Marbled was undoubtedly number one :P

What about this one , the one on top of course !

9D9DAA4E-803C-46ED-96B3-228EB70DE680_1_105_c.jpeg.d713fb205b852f3688f74930a5cde643.jpeg

Probably too easy but as nobody else seems to be playing it seems a shame just to leave it.

Depending on where you were it may have a Red eye or a dark one.

What I call 'my neighbour' as the darn things follow me around everywhere I go.

I'll go for the most likely as Dark-eyed Bulbul.

9143EE5F-AE16-4339-AA67-EE0F8D88AD40_1_105_c.jpeg.d26486667dbb05518379c1fc354159da.jpeg

Well I could make it more difficult @Galanaand ask you for Country , NP and specific location or even why there is a yellow patch on the under-tail coverts but that's another game:D   : be my guest if you want to try it : as for your answer the "Dark-eyed Bulbul" it is if we want to be totally correct and with bird ID we have to be of course as I am fully aware of as a newcomer, not the exact name of this ubiquitous little bulbul.

I might if may suggest, that it should be in the rules, that you should include the scientific name, just to avoid any confusion, as common names can vary, whereas scientific names shouldn’t, unless some pesky taxonomist has invented some new split. If you have what you believe is a correct common name, just stick into Google and you should then find a scientific name that you can then just copy and paste.   

In this case, the book I’ve consulted calls this bird Dark-capped or Black-eyed Bulbul (Pycnonotus tricolor), in previous books it was a race of Common Bulbul (Pycnonotus barbatus), in my oldest book, it is called Yellow-vented Bulbul, because of the yellow we can see in your shot, there isn’t a dark-eyed Bulbul.

@BRACQUENE Fred clearly knows his Bulbuls, so I think it is safe to conclude that @Galanahas the right bird, he has just confused the two common names, I will leave it up to you to decide if you can forgive him this misdemeanour or not.

26 minutes ago, inyathi said:

In this case, the book I’ve consulted calls this bird Dark-capped or Black-eyed Bulbul (Pycnonotus tricolor), in previous books it was a race of Common Bulbul (Pycnonotus barbatus), in my oldest book, it is called Yellow-vented Bulbul, because of the yellow we can see in your shot, there isn’t a dark-eyed Bulbul.

Mea culpa. As you say. I think I just got typo fatigue or cross eyed when reading my Sinclair's. Same in "South of the Sahara". where the range now tells me that what I was brought up to call the "Yellow-vented B" was "Dark capped /Black-eyed" all the time and even then THEY could not leave well alone and dragged out a split to Dodson's in Kenya.:(

Much the same in 'Fanshawe'.

By all means we can add the scientific same but for those of you who may have been unfortunate enough to share a trip with me you would soon hear the recognised abbreviation for these birds is "A.B.B" as @xelaswill confirm as he saw at least a 100 per day and seemed to call stop for every one until we took his camera off him.:P

1 hour ago, BRACQUENE said:

ubiquitous little bulbul.

Now that I can subscribe to.:lol:

As to where you saw it, it would perhaps be easier to say where you did'n't.

Edited by Galana

@inyathi

Of course I forgive him and he certainly recognized the bird and I was just asking Fred @Galanato rectify the mixing of the two common names which was most likely a lapsus linguae so I agree with your suggestion for the inclusion of the scientific name ( Pycnonotus tricolor in this case ) but after the gulls and godwits from the previous days this was the perfect moment to tease him a bit which he does from time to time with me :lol:

Well my forgiveness is complete and a token of my remorse I make the following not too difficult offering.

Tip. It's not a Gull or Godwit or an AFB..

13.JPG

@Galana  Looks like a snipe to me. Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago)?

Is the picture by any chance from India?

Well whilst I was posting in the other game I saw your answer coming in @mvecht and I can only confirm or it would have to be the African snipe (Gallinago nigripennis) also known as the Ethiopian snipe , very similar but darker above and longer-billed which @Galanamight have seen in Uganda QE NP ?

5 hours ago, mvecht said:

@Galana  Looks like a snipe to me.

Well that's a step in the right direction.:P

But it is neither of the ones offered so far.:(

@Galana

Or it might be the Pin-tailed Snipe Gallinago stenura even if I found that the bill was too long as the tail is difficult to see ? 

1 hour ago, BRACQUENE said:

the Pin-tailed Snipe Gallinago stenura

No might about it. No visible tail.

1-2008_0413new0374.JPG.fd04458f892a3b26dcdfba8f559fe1f6.JPG

Well done.

Back to you.

The next one is probably not too difficult either even if hiding it slightly ;)

F2208452-C7D0-4A45-B666-BFDBC03D103F_1_105_c.jpeg.1989a21d978dd3735c31886d42036a64.jpeg

17 minutes ago, BRACQUENE said:

The next one is probably not too difficult either

Very true.

If no one else is going to take this one, I will, this is a white-crested helmetshrike (Prionops plumatus)

It is indeed @inyathi seen in Kavinga Camp close to our tent ; Over to you 

_DSC1574.jpg.727f83eea2f82e34fecd86528adff1a2.jpg

That one was a little too easy even without being able to see the bird's face, this one might not be.

49707393992_3300cbf31e_o.jpg 

Pictus Safaris

Interesting one @inyathi- doesn't recall any of the phasianidae I know from Africa, so I'm looking further afield. Of course, it doesn't help there are very few places you haven't been....

I'm unsure whether the golden colouration on the neck is vegetation in front of the bird, or in fact a clue. I'll assume the latter as I have little else to go on and guess Tropicoperdix charltonii, the Chestnut-Necklaced Partridge, for no other reason than it might have, well, a chestnut necklace.

My shot for what it is worth is the Vietnamese Partridge or Green-legged partridge (Not the Polish one with a capital P) (Tropicoperdix chloropus) found in South East Asia.

@Pictus SafarisThat was a very good guess, I was hoping that someone who doesn't know their birds that well, might think it could be an African francolin of some kind, but you weren't fooled and went for the right part of the world, you just picked the wrong family member. 

@GalanaWell done, it is indeed a Green-legged Partridge seen in Vietnam and not a Polish chicken, typically just because I said earlier that scientific names shouldn't vary, the name in Birds of Vietnam, is not quite the same as you have given me, as it has Arborophila choloropus, the species name is the same, just the genus is different, I think the original genus was Tropicoperdix then that was scrapped, and the two species mentioned were put in Arboophila, but since then the original genus been revived, so the Green-legged and Chestnut-necklaced have gone back to Tropicoperdix

Fortunately none of this confusion matters, as it is clear that the answer is correct, that wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.

Edited by inyathi

I am struggling for subjects again but try this one....

Another one that follows the current trend.

1-DSCN0988.JPG.81a32e566e051a29f3ba01eca3f172fd.JPG

@Galana

After some more research , I was hesitating when I posted earlier ,  I now think it is a Tawny-flanked Prinia - Prinia subflava instead of the Ashy which you would have seen in India ?