GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Not a bad guess but no

Though I did see African pied at the same location

The Dog Lady

Hi everyone. This is my very first post on this site (new memeber) so wish me luck.

ok. Is it a Trumpeter Hornbill? They are found right up North? .....Please be right.

Karibu The Dog Lady

Sorry it's not a trumpeter, this bird makes a different sound

Also though it does depend where you’re starting from I think I should say go west

Another new member. My guess is Piping Hornbill.

Thanks nappa, was happy to stumble across this forum a few days ago. It looks good, although it makes me want to be out in Africa even more.

Karibu Eagle Owl

Spot on

Yes a pair of piping hornbills Bycanistes fistulator a primarily Central and West African rainforest species my photos were taken in the garden of Loango Lodge in Gabon. I knew choosing a species I photographed in Gabon would make it rather difficult but I didn't think it would prove quite so hard as this species does actually occur in East Africa albeit in the far west of Uganda in the Budongo and Semliki forests, so it is in some East African books. It’s hard to tell from my photos but the piping is much the smallest of the Bycanistes hornbills.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to get this one :D

So thanks and over to you Eagle Owl

Game Warden

Eagle Owl, welcome to ST: you know what you have to do now...

Guest nappa

Apologies Eagle Owl for posting out of turn here, I'm having a major throw out of files on the 'puter & as I trawl through them one or two of interest show up & thought this was ideal for this thread.

A bit different but "Name that bird!"

gallery_3955_647_3274824.jpg

Phew.

I am away for the weekend (in the very wet south west of england where there is rare summer flooding on the somerset levels) and so cant post my bird for a few days as my limited collection of bird photos are on a different computer. Nappa, no problem, though personally i am stumped on that one.

Guest nappa

Thanks.

For me I would say ignore my picture & post yours when you can.

I am fascinated by birds egg patterns!

How do they evolve?

What process, as such, forms the pattern on the egg shell as it develops, after all it is only a hard membrane.

Is there DNA in the shell?

With these eggs how is it defined where there be black lines in the shell as the shell develops?

Each bird species has it's own pattern yet no two shells are alike?

What goes on inside the hen to produce this?

Reptile eggs do not have this characteristic.

A quick question, does my bird need to be an African one?

IMG_0332.jpg[/img]

The image doesn't seem to appear...i have followed the posting image advice on this site....but must still be doing something wrong..

http://s524.photobuc...nt=IMG_0332.jpg

<a%20href=

IMG_0332.jpg

Edited by Eagle Owl

Nice photo

Is this an African bird? given your earlier question

A quick question, does my bird need to be an African one?

Yes I think so,

When Jochen started this game I don't think he stated in the original rules that the bird needs to be African I think it was just assumed that people would only post African ones. Given how difficult my last one proved to be if we could all start posting birds from around the world it would become impossible. Mind you I've often thought when I eventually run out of African birds I should try one from the Ecuador or Thailand or somewhere just too really stump everyone ;):D

so unless anyone thinks otherwise I think we should stick to African species

I haven't decided on your owl yet so I’ll let everyone else have a proper look.

Regarding your eggs Nappa this is a total guess but I’m going to say Jacana

In that case, i will post another picture (that wasn't an African bird). Problem is i dont have any photos of tricky African ones, so will just post this one, which i like because of the size of the fish. About 30 seconds after i took this, a Fish Eagle swooped down and tried to steal this fish.

P1020318.jpg

Guest nappa

Yes they're Jacana eggs.

The adult took off after another male who was getting close too with his chicks so quick in, snap shot & out.

I won’t name your new photo, but as you haven’t named the owl I’ll have a guess, my first thought although I can’t see any obvious ear tufts (probably due to the angle) was one of the Asian fish owls most likely a tawny based on the colour.

Anyway after posting such a hard one last time I might bow out for a while.

Back again from my latest adventures (Serengeti is now burning...). Cool jacana eggs! The pigment is laid down in the latter stages of movement into the cloaca - there are a few spots in the lining that add pigment and depending on exactly how much movement there is of the nearly complete egg within the cloaca the scribbles are more or less scribbly. Most reptiles bury their eggs, or at least leave them in tiny holes, so colour isn't useful for hiding them (or for identification in colonial species) - hole nesting birds and the few species that also bury their eggs tend to have similarly unmarked ones. As for the latest photo: hint: Oh gaoler!

kittykat23uk

IMG_0332.jpg[/img]

The image doesn't seem to appear...i have followed the posting image advice on this site....but must still be doing something wrong..

http://s524.photobuc...nt=IMG_0332.jpg

<a%20href=

IMG_0332.jpg

Was it a Brown Fish Owl? :) Welcome to the game! :D.

I believe you have posted a Goliath Heron as well?

Thanks. Yes, a Buffy Fish Owl from Borneo and a Goliath heron i believe in the Kruger. The former i took whilst on a night canoe safari in Sabah a few years back the latter last November on a two week holiday in the Kruger.

Edited by Eagle Owl

The background foliage in the owl picture suggested it might be rainforest so I wondered if you’d taken the photo somewhere like Thailand, Malaysia or Borneo, I assume you were on the Kinabatangan River in your canoe. :)