GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Nope, sorry. :)

2 hours ago, inyathi said:

if you don't have Birds of Africa South of the Sahara or a West African book, if you had identified that the bird was probably a coucal, that should have directed you to Africa or Asia, as coucals occur on both continents, if you then failed to find it in any books that you do have, a Google search for coucals or Centropus, would have found you the other species not found in your books, just seeing the name black-throated coucal might have suggested that was the answer. 

I did most of that but in reverse.

I have Sinclairs South of the Sahara AND Borrow's birds of Western Africa but I still too a look at Asia. I was only when it failed to jump off the page I turned to Wiki and the list of species that I knew the name.

Back to Sinclair after a G&T but by then @michael-ibk had taken line honours. and well deserved too.

Except that he has now posted a bloody obscure Rail. Few markings and a right skulker by the look of it. It is suggestive of a Wood Rail (not a wooden rail as google keeps offering :angry:) but it is going to take time in the absence of inspiration.

Not a Wood Rail but  a Woodhen?

Specifically Lord Howe Island Woodhen.

ST.jpg.1600239bad4cbc96aef56bbdb5958dc6.jpg

Edited by Galana
Additional photo.

That looks good for it but has @michael-ibk been to Australia? I don't think so!

1 hour ago, janzin said:

has @michael-ibk been to Australia? I don't think so!

Well he has been to Austria so only add an 'a' and an 'l'?:P

@Galana has it - Lord Howe Island Woodhen. And no, I have not been there and hoped that might create some confusion. :P It´s one of @AndMic´s photos from a 2007 trip to Australia.

No Kangaroos in Austria btw - we even have T-Shirts saying that.B)

16 hours ago, inyathi said:

@michael-ibk Yes correct, over to you:)

Black-throated coucal seen in Ghana, it is according to Birds of Africa South of the Sahara a West African regional endemic, as in that book, the similar but smaller Neumann's coucal is split, it is a DRC endemic, so you won't find either species in a Southern or East African bird book, if you don't have Birds of Africa South of the Sahara or a West African book, if you had identified that the bird was probably a coucal, that should have directed you to Africa or Asia, as coucals occur on both continents, if you then failed to find it in any books that you do have, a Google search for coucals or Centropus, would have found you the other species not found in your books, just seeing the name black-throated coucal might have suggested that was the answer. 

@Galana I had a feeling when I chose this one, that you might perhaps have seen this bird, but after recent comments, I didn't want to post anything too hard.     

Crikey, a lot of posts since my last visit, which wasn't that long ago. 

I would have got it wrong anyway as I had decided it was a Neuman's Coucal, mainly because the black throat did not (to me at least) seem to go far enough down the breast for it to be a Black-throated Coucal.  

3 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

And no, I have not been there and hoped that might create some confusion. :P

Not for me as I did not know you had not been and were stooping to deception (although breaking no rule that it has to be a personal photo.:))

I admit to a minor worry when I read @janzin's comment but relied on the good likeness of the bird to see me through. If you had not been to Lord Howe then maybe there was one in Innsbruck Zoo! I was that confident! :D

OK.

ITMA but I will still spare you an EBC but how about an LBJ for a Lark?

1872719357_1-1stdisc319.JPG.2bf25afcb61dbcb825d451805301fdbd.JPG

Ahhh I'd totally forgotten but its true, the rules don't say the photo has to be taken by you, nor even that it be a wild bird. Tricky tricky :lol:

Now this next LBJ is a tough one, I'll do some research but I'm sure one of the other experts will beat me to it.

Peter Connan

Thanks @inyathi and @michael-ibk. I will have to wait and see, but most of it should be backed up, although without a computer I can't access them at th moment.

Dave Williams

Looks like a Dunnock to me, bit lacking in grey but I can't think what else it might be. 

@Peter Connan sorry to hear about the Compooter glitch. Hope it all turns our well.

@Dave Williams Sorry not a Dunnock although I don't think you really thought it was.

Dave Williams

@Galana :ph34r:What about a Hedge Sparrow then?? I hate to disappoint but I did think it might be!

Sorry. Not even Hedge Accentor.

Go compare as the TV ad put it.

Dunnock.JPG.a233431ea7c40924d7b7318a88b8416c.JPG

offshorebirder

@Galana - is it a Meadow Pipit?

There were no Meadows where I saw that bird ergo no Meadow Pipits.

Dave Williams

It's a Yellowhammer!

@Dave Williams

Dear Tortoise,

I don't know what you are on but could you send some over here please or

I may have to ring Claire and suggest she increases your medication.;)

For everyone else I will accede to dear Janet's suggestion and name which Field Guide would be most helpful at  08.30 EST.

Edited by Galana
added text.

Bushveldt Pipit ??

22 minutes ago, Galana said:

Dear Tortoise,

I don't know what you are on but could you send some over here please or

I may have to ring Claire and suggest she increases your medication.;)

send some here too, I could do with hallucinations :huh:

46 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Bushveldt Pipit ??

Closer but sadly not a Bushveldt.

Obviously you are not in need of 'medication' yet. Being  a week day I have to wait til 18.00 for mine. (I :wub: weekends!)

An African Pipit maybe? They have mottled back and a variety of facial markings. Malar stripes often indistinct

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

An African Pipit maybe?

Nope! I believe there are about 40 species of Pipit worldwide, maybe even more but to home in ahead of my promised FieldGuide data at 08.00 EST (14.00 BST) should I say that African Pipit is literally but not specifically correct?

8 minutes ago, Galana said:

should I say that African Pipit is literally but not specifically correct?

so, AN African Pipit, but not African (Grassland) Pipit ??

Jackson's Pipit, based on the fact that it occurs in your favourite area