GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Superrrrrrrb Starling.

And this one?

03.jpg

2x nope!

A few tips;

- these guys can harass you at the most popular picknick spot in Ngorongoro crater.

- try plate 34 of the Zimmerman book (large raptors overhead)

Game Warden

I know because I too have been attacked at that picnic spot by the lake. But it's not fair for the admin to play...

Alex The Lion

Yellow billed kite - intra african migrant

Guest nyama
But it's not fair for the admin to play...

But you aren't a full-time admin, are you? Just make your post in your 'spare time'.

Btw, in the ever growing smiley colony on this forum I just met someone who looks like a deputy admin to me: gallery_3403_44_125.gif

I know because I too have been attacked at that picnic spot by the lake. But it's not fair for the admin to play...

Its perfectly fair - admin powers dont show you the answer so you dont get any advantage by being admin, and are therefore entitled to guess/answer.

Black Kite?

Here's the right answer!

Matt,

Predator is right. Join the fun, man!

I haven’t been to Ngorongoro, but I’d heard about the black kites. Then I googled the yellow-billed kite and it looks like Russel’s reply is more exact, so I think he too could post a bird. I’ll see if I can find a bird …

Wattled plover? (I miss that red thingie on the beak though...)

Wattled plover?

Correct!

There is a red thingie that's visible when the picture is bigger.

Alex The Lion
I haven’t been to Ngorongoro, but I’d heard about the black kites. Then I googled the yellow-billed kite and it looks like Russel’s reply is more exact, so I think he too could post a bird. I’ll see if I can find a bird …

I thought that its beak was yellowish, which would determine what type of kite it actually is. Jochen, any chance of cropped shot?

As I am playing along, thought that I would make this one a little tricky. Think of the environment you see it in and that should help.

90550258.jpg

Wow, I must admit this was a gamble.

How about this one?

17.jpg

@Rusell; march sandpipier?

I'll try to find the pic in my DB and take a crop. But you can be sure it is a black kite; Zimmerman guide, plate 34 bird no 6; the silhouette is quite unique.

Alex The Lion

Jochen says march sandpiper...........................our survey says, no (cant quite replicate the family fortune noise)

As an abstainer to East Africa thus far, there are many a bird on this thread I struggle with.

Russell: First thought was Blacksmiths Plover (aka Blacksmith lapwing), but going to go for Water thick knee

Jochen: Yellow spotted barbet ?

Alex The Lion

Getting close, the colouring is similar. As it is a silhouetee I will give a little clue. It is a quite common in the Okavango and if you look at the far bird, the colour of its legs should give you an idea