GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Jochen, go ahead. I’ve only been on one trip with a digital camera and my old non-digital had almost no zoom, so I couldn’t photograph any birds. Photography hasn’t been a big priority for me, but I suppose I’ll have to change that.

Guest nyama
Nyama, I hope I can fill in for you (you may return the favor later ;) )...

I do it with a quite easy one... (before searching for reptiles...)

gallery_3403_44_47840.jpeg

Tanya_in_Kenya

I think I know this one, but I have an unfair advantage because we have them in the river outside our house, so I'm keeping quiet for a while....

Well, I thik Nyama is trying to pull our leg.

I'd say purple heron too (as I think that is the species you're referring to, Tanya), but I miss the black stripes on the head.

So I'm gonna go for Goliath Heron.

(That one should have a black bill, but I hope that the bill is burned out in hispic, because it was wet & the sun was shining on it, or something like that).

Nyama?

Tanya_in_Kenya

Jochen - actually, no, I was not referring to the Purple Heron - I was thinking Goliath Heron (we have one resident on our stretch of river)...

Ah, well then I hope we're both right. ;)

Guest nyama
So I'm gonna go for Goliath Heron.
I was thinking Goliath Heron

It's a Goliath Heron. (A Purple Heron has yellow legs.)

Jochen, your turn.

I was way back at the Weaver because I didn't look at the last page in the post, just the last bird on the first page. Oops. My guess of Masked Weaver was not right anyway. I even put on my reading glasses.

So I'll put in a bird.

gallery_108_68_4220.jpg

It's fun to scroll through this and play the guessing game independently, kind of like booking a private vehicle. Some excellent bird photos to enjoy.

Lynn, is that a white browed coucal? Like this one:

08.jpg

I would have said the burchells coucal like this one

gallery_4095_50_665.jpg

Yours indeed resembles it better, DikDik.

Strange... Burchells coucal is not in my Zimmerman "Birds of Kenya". Lynn, where is your photograph taken?

Or are we both wrong and is it a "Senegal coucal"? That one misses the striped feathers on the back though...

Tanya_in_Kenya
I would have said the burchells coucal like this one

Atravelynn's bird has a white brow which yours doesn't, Dikdik, so I don't think it's the same bird.... I'd say White Browed Coucal is the answer, even though it is a somewhat scruffy looking specimen!!

The burchells coucal is called the ran bird. It makes a lovely bubbling sound and mostley before the rain. Looks like that specimen called too much rain and got soaked.

Tanya_in_Kenya

Here we have the White Browed Coucal and we call it the "Water Bottle Bird" because it makes a similar noise to the glugging sound of pouring water from a bottle....

Still waiting to hear which one it is....my vote is on the WBC.... :P

Still waiting to hear which one it is....my vote is on the WBC.... :D

If that is the case, I win. I said it first! :P

:lol: I sound like a kid who's in the race for a lollipop and is affraid he'll lose!

Lynn, where are you girl?? What coucal are we looking at?

Tanya_in_Kenya
If that is the case, I win. I said it first! :P

Absolutely! I was just adding some moral support to the WBC supporters camp! :lol:

I believe it is a Burchell's coucal from what I was told at the time I saw it. Dikdik, were you in the vehicle with me when I took this photo? You have the bird and the narrative. It was a little wet from previous rain and it was doing its call to predict more rain. The skies were perfectly clear at the time and I just knew the bird was wrong. By afternoon raindrops fell and that night we had showers.

The photo was taken at Phinda.

I like the coucal family with its many members.

Tanya_in_Kenya

Give us your worst, Dikdik! B)

Guys and Gals, when you are out of birds to post, I have one that I just don't know what it is. Actually I know what it is but I don't have a name for it.

Ross

Guys and Gals, when you are out of birds to post, I have one that I just don't know what it is. Actually I know what it is but I don't have a name for it.

Ross

Post it in the "please help identify this" topic and we can all have a look at it. I'm sure lots of us have photos of birds we cant identify (I certainly do)

Seems DikDik forgot about this thread

(or missed it in the "view new posts", that feature is both a blessing and a curse :) )

So here's another of mine.

04.jpg

Fan tailed Widowbird (redshouldered widow)

Here is one I took today.

gallery_4095_50_89721.jpg

Tanya_in_Kenya

Diederik Cuckoo chrysococcyx caprius

Correct.

Next bird please.