GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Tanya_in_Kenya

This one's not too difficult, I think....

gallery_5103_56_3955.gif

Vulturine Guinea fowl :angry: Finally one I can answer :angry:

OK another easy one. Ignore the red tint - thats from the spotlight.

gallery_673_74_8242.jpg

Tanya_in_Kenya
Vulturine Guinea fowl :angry: Finally one I can answer :o

You're right, of course! :angry:

I really like your photo, by the way...

Beautiful blue in the Vulturine Guinea Fowl. I realized after the fact that my Burchell's Coucal was posted out of turn. I seem to have such difficulty with the rules in any of these games.

Let’s keep this thread alive.

Secretary bird/s.! B)

Your turn, Dikdik. Next time I'll have to use an ostrich.

Running out of pictures myself. I actually don’t know what this one is. I think I took the picture on the Mara, if that helps. So guess away, I will have to refer to a book or maybe someone better qualified before confirming.

gallery_4095_50_104155.jpg

It could easily be. I didn’t even think of that as I was in a strange environment. Well I am no expert.

All yours John!

Guest John Milbank
Well I am no expert.

Neither am I, so I'll gratefully accept your suggestion that I'm right. We have a black-shouldered kite in Australia, closely related and very similar to the African species.

My offering:

Pearlspottedowl.jpg

Tanya_in_Kenya
Could be a black-shouldered kite.

I think John is right....

Riz - are you out there somewhere? Can you confirm?

I’ll guess John’s bird.

Pearl-spotted owlet?

Tanya_in_Kenya

Great photo, John.

Guest John Milbank

Thanks Tanya. Luck, and good guides, play such important roles. Our guide heard a tree squirrel chattering in alarm and drove over to the trees to investigate. That's how I got my first daylight shot of an owl and my only respectable shot of a squirrel!

I’ll have to try to catch some birds returning from Africa. I’m not a birder, but I’ll recognise them by their impatience for autumn to come so that they can fly back.

• 3 months later...
Game Warden

Reviving an old thread, yesterday whilst walking in the park here, I saw a hoopoe, and couldn't believe it. At first it was on the ground, and then hopped up onto a nearby branch and started preening, allowing me a good five minutes to observe him/her in close proximity. Of course, didn't have the camera... It took me back to driving round Dik dik's farm in SA. I certainly didn't know they came this far north. Hopefully I'll see him again, with the camera, and Lizzy will be with me.

Has anyone got a good hoopoe photo they can post?

For those who might not know what the hoopoe is, there is some information and a couple of images on Wikipedia here.

white stork

I've only got one image of a hoopoe. it's attached but not a great photo,

the raptor is a jackal buzzard??

post-5300-1217760087_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Well, going back to the start of this topic, it looks like you have to do some infilling with images that you took down Jochen... While you are doing that, the rest of us can look at your new topic, "Show us your predator birds" and put names to faces as it were...

Dik dik, re your post dated Jul 30 2008, you can put us out of our misery now, we give up...

Matt, I just found this thread back. I'll do what I can re. the missing pics.

Dikdik's pic is a jackal buzzard. (nice try hiding the rufous tail :D )

Let's kick this thread back to life. To start off with something simple (far from a "vortex mistery bird" in Africa Birds & Birding magazine):

03.jpg