PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

39 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Don´t you get them in the Netherlands

Well, there are one or two sightings every year, but I've never seen one here.

Dave Williams

Photos to drool over again Peter! So envious of the BS Kite, I will crack it one day, the Little Swift again ,fabulous. How many shot did you bin....be honest! Then there's the cracking WF Bee-eater in the rain...what ISO was that shot at? I thought this was said to be a fair weather camera but this looks top class to me.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

How many shot did you bin....be honest!

Thank you Dave. Well I don't remember exactly how many I binned, but I do know I took quite a few shots. There were certainly more sharp ones (and even more that weren't ;)) but only two or three that ended up with the right pose, wing position etc. The iso in the Bee-eater shot was not really high:500. Even so, it is definitely not only a 'fair weather camera'. The Giant Kingfisher in post #31 was taken at iso 6400 and is not bad at all in my view. Still, in that respect it cannot compete with a FF camera, of course. To me that does not matter. It mostly does what I want it to do and gives me good results. 

12 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Still, in that respect it cannot compete with a FF camera, of course. To me that does not matter. It mostly does what I want it to do and gives me good results.

Hear hear to the second bit. Knowing how to get the best from your camera is the key, whatever the sensor size.

138 (SA 126). Burchell's Starling. Kruger, February

i-bgzbjSm-X2.jpg

139 (SA 127). Hooded Vulture. Kruger, February. Probably the least common of the 4 vulture species we saw.

i-Fw5vQqM-X2.jpg

140 (SA 128). Swainson's Spurfowl. Kruger, February. They were competing in an interesting and rather loud duet in the morning sun. We really enjoyed this unusual sight!

i-Wh8Z33f-X2.jpg

141 (SA 129). Black-chested Snake Eagle. Kruger, February.We saw its brown cousin quite a few times, but this one only twice.

i-XrHtfrd-X2.jpg

142 (SA 130). Little Bee-eater. Kruger, February. 

i-j3cCg9H-X2.jpg

143 (SA 131) Bateleur. Kruger, February. A truly beautiful eagle, which we saw almost every day.

i-g7JWfmM-X2.jpg

i-BdmpzfZ-X2.jpg

@PeterHG  I love the picture of the Swainsons Spurfowl and the Hornbill

1 hour ago, mvecht said:

I love the picture of the Swainsons Spurfowl and the Hornbill

Me too! Very unusual.

15 hours ago, mvecht said:

@PeterHG  I love the picture of the Swainsons Spurfowl and the Hornbill

Me three - what a sight

michael-ibk

I'm quadrupling the admiration for the duet.:)

144 (SA 132). Black-headed Oriole. Kruger, February. Often heard and seen regularly, but almost impossible to get a good shot of. Well the same applies to any oriole.

i-MqwDbLd-XL.jpg

145 (SA 133) Long-billed Crombec. Kruger, February

i-2G7SwsX-XL.jpg

146 (SA 134). Chinspot Batis. Kruger, February.

i-T99FzGM-XL.jpg

147 (SA 135). Southern White-crowned Shrike. Kruger, February. You must understand this was before the social distancing...;)

i-nqvGcf5-XL.jpg

148 (SA 136). Levaillant's Cuckoo. Kruger, February. Taken not long before the Mopani gates closed, so the light was already fading, but the only time we saw it, so I was happy to get a shot.

i-6zLdHs3-XL.jpg

149 (SA 137). Golden-tailed Woodpecker. Kruger, February.

i-jhDt884-XL.jpg

150 (SA 138). Red-crested Korhaan. Kruger, February. Heard more often than seen.

i-WgqJg6d-X3.jpg

i-99Pz37c-XL.jpg

Dave Williams
On 4/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, michael-ibk said:

I'm quadrupling the admiration for the duet.:)

"I'll give it foive"

I expect @TonyQ can correct the pronunciation ! 

Who else remembers the famous uttering? I guess you have to live in the UK and be of a certain age to remember.

Sorry Peter, I'm hijacking your thread but to be honest I'm getting a bit fed up of looking at your Kruger shots compared to mine. I feel I missed out on far too much and I was there for a month too!

49 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

"I'll give it foive"

I remember Janet to.