PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

Excellent photos, very enjoyable to follow

16 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

And the magnificence continues!

Agreed 

Thank you very much @michael-ibk, @Soukous, @Peter Connan @Galana, @pedro maia @xelas, @TonyQ, @shazdwn ! We were really very fortunate in getting so many photo opportunities. 

114 (SA 102) Purple Indigobird. Kruger, February. (As suggested by @Peter Connan and @Galana)

i-cdBbvLL-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

115 (SA 103). Martial Eagle. Kruger, February. Only seen a few times and mostly far off, but this one, though partly hidden, was much closer

i-sRFsZDH-XL.jpg

116 (SA 104) Helmeted Guineafowl. Kruger, February. What can I say? It counts.

i-2k5RMh5-XL.jpg

i-JxgM5PT-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

117 (SA 105). Grey-rumped Swallow. Kruger, February. This one has me confused. The Banded Martin should not have blue in its feathers, I think, but the head sure looks like this one. And I can't seem to match it to any other Martin/Swallow. If you have any thoughts on this, please say so. I'll adapt the numbers if necessary. *** Note: changed Banded Martin into Grey-rumped Swallow as suggested by @michael-ibk and @Galana

i-kdgvbfr-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

118 (SA 106). Striped Pipit. Kruger, February. The song, fortunately, helped a lot in ID-ing this one. A lifer for me.

i-q3N6KbK-XL.jpg

119 (SA 107). Black-collared Barbet. Kruger, February

i-hk4SLhF-XL.jpg

120 (SA 108). African Mourning Dove. Kruger, February

i-WJtwHXb-XL.jpg

michael-ibk

Congratulations about the Striped Pipit, have never seen one myself. I think your Banded Martin is a Grey-Rumped Swallow. I had one last year in Gabon and also thought for a very long time why this Banded Martin is so terribly blue?

10 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

I think your Banded Martin is a Grey-Rumped Swallow.

So do I. While I was scratching my head @michael-ibk was typing!

Many thanks @michael-ibk and @Galana ! I had not really thought of that one and you just handed me another lifer! I'll edit the post.

Peter Connan

More nice shots!

But is 114 not perhaps one of the Indigobirds? Never seen a Mannikin with that much black on it?

14 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

But is 114 not perhaps one of the Indigobirds? Never seen a Mannikin with that much black on it?

Again, that is food for thought, Peter, thank you. I must say I thought it was a rather scruffy-looking Mannikin, but I did not think of an Indigobird. I' have to delve into that one.

4 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

These were my thoughts too. Bill and leg colour suggest an Indigo bird in transition.

Thanks again, @Galana I'll adapt the count tomorrow. Nothing better to do anyway...;)

52 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

I'll adapt the count tomorrow. Nothing better to do anyway...;)

Well feel free to go back one place BUT you can get it back by finding out what it really is.

10 hours ago, Galana said:

you can get it back by finding out what it really is.

Yes, I was going to try that first. The most likely candidate appears to be the Dusky Indigobird. Would you agree?

I was quite fancying Purple myself due to leg colour. SASOL reads "The combination of white or pinkish white bill, legs and feet distinguish from other Indigobirds in RSA.

What does @Peter Connan think? Your call!;)

Dave Williams

The camera combo continues to make me think!! February certainly has more to offer than October for bird species in Kruger too but how does the weather and game viewing compare?

Peter Connan
2 hours ago, Galana said:

I was quite fancying Purple myself due to leg colour. SASOL reads "The combination of white or pinkish white bill, legs and feet distinguish from other Indigobirds in RSA.

What does @Peter Connan think? Your call!;)

Having seen (perhaps noticed is a better word) just one single Indigobird in my life, I'm not going to call myself an expert, but it does sound like Purple is a better fit.

However, since you don't have either in the count, it's worth a tick whichever it is?

Thanks for you input @Peter Connan and @Galana. I initially thought the Purple did not occur in the Kruger area, but Ebird has shown me it does. I agree on the slightly better match with the Purple, so that's what I'm going to put it down as. I'll edit the post.

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

how does the weather and game viewing compare?

The weather has treated us very kindly: hardly any rain and a mixture of cloudy and sunny days. The one disadvantage I can think of when comparing to October, is that the grass is much longer and the vegetation more dense. On one occasion we were told by the passengers of another car that were were about twelve lions present where we had stopped. We could not see a single one, until one of them stood up, followed by a few others soon after. Having said that, we did have some very good views of both lions and leopards. 

Edited by PeterHG

121 (SA 109). Bearded Woodpecker. Kruger, February. I decided to do a little filming instead of taking photos. Not al that easy with the 300mm handheld. The stabilization does help, though.

122 (SA 110) Knob-billed Duck. Kruger, February. Seen only once, this goose-like duck.

i-74Drm6n-XL.jpg