PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

14 hours ago, PeterHG said:

As it was so sunny I thought I'd add the 2.0 converter to the 300mm lens, making it a FF equivalent reach of 1200mm. I was not disappointed at some 75 metres distance.

Wow, that combo is giving you some great results

Dave Williams

I'm tempted to jump ship with my gear seeing those results Peter. 

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I'm tempted to jump ship with my gear seeing those results Peter. 

And your back will thank you! 

Only, bear in mind: "as it was so sunny"; smaller the size of the sensor bigger the issues with the light.

Dave Williams
47 minutes ago, xelas said:

And your back will thank you! 

Only, bear in mind: "as it was so sunny"; smaller the size of the sensor bigger the issues with the light.

Yes I'd noted all that too Alex. I won't be going anywhere soon. Waiting to hear bit more about Canon's mirrorless R5 and the release of their 100-500mm which was due soon.

Edited by Dave Williams

22 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Yes I'd noted all that to Alex. I won't be going anywhere soon.

I think Cameras are quite low on Boris's list of 'essential shopping' even if we could get out to use it.

Dave Williams

You can get one delivered though!!! We are saving a small fortune whilst in lockdown, as a pensioner I'm lucky that I have no employment worries.

1 minute ago, Dave Williams said:

We are saving a small fortune whilst in lockdown,

I have noticed but have had to give up my Paper round!:P

53 minutes ago, Galana said:

I think Cameras are quite low on Boris's list of 'essential shopping' even if we could get out to use it.

Home delivery can apparently still deliver things we cannot shop for in person.

3 hours ago, xelas said:

That's a fair point, Alex. Even so, also the Ross' Goose ( as it was pretty distant) was taken with the same combo on a late afternoon in grey conditions. And at iso 1250 that was still a pretty decent result.

Peter Connan

I think it's the operator, personally.

Dave Williams

Agreed.... amazing how many super rich footballers prang their very fast and expensive motors because they don't know how to drive them.

Let's continue with the SA collection for a while.

107 (ZA 95). White-backed Vulture. Kruger, February. The most numerous vulture and seen almots daily.

i-FTNG6ZZ-X2.jpg

108 (ZA 96). Black-crowned Tchagra. Kruger, February. Seen once or twice on the trip.

i-q3xrSDr-X2.jpg

109. (ZA 97). Brown-crowned Tchagra. Kruger, February. Taken near Satara restcamp

i-dQgX5xx-X2.jpg

110 (ZA 98) Dideric (or Diederik) Cuckoo. Kruger, February. We saw it before on several other SA trips but never opportunities for a decent photo. This one was taken from the terrace of the Lower Sabie restaurant.

i-mFfcQM5-X2.jpg

111 (SA 99). Laughing Dove. Kruger, February. Extremely rare, so I was very happy to get a shot of one....;)

i-2TNcVzG-X2.jpg

112 (SA 100). Black-crowned Night Heron. Kruger, February. Seen in three different places. The first is a juvenile.

i-N6WFjq9-X2.jpg

i-ZNjNw52-X2.jpg

113 (SA 101) Tawny-flanked Prinia. Kruger, February. Quite common, but mostly too quick for me.

i-tQcpn4W-L.jpg

michael-ibk

Congratulation on getting a photo of such an extremely rare bird! ;-)

Good to see a comparison shot of the two Tchagras.

Lovely cuckoo Peter

Peter Connan

And the magnificence continues!

4 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

And the magnificence continues!

Times Two!

You even make the vulture look pretty, Peter (ok, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit :lol:).

8 hours ago, pedro maia said:

You even make the vulture look pretty, Peter (ok, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit :lol:).

Not one bit, Pedro :). Not only the birds, also the backgrounds looks pretty ^_^.