PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

michael-ibk

Congrats on #100 Peter, great stuff all the way. Fully agree about the Roller, I love our European ones. Interesting Sacred Ibis, I was not aware of this colour variation.

Dave Williams

Excellent Peter, you are quite a talent!!

If you  or anyone else actually have Netflix may I recommend a comedy series called Still Game. It's about two pensioners who live in a deprived area of Glasgow,Scotland and the trials of being in their age and situation. It's a long running series and to my knowledge was never shown outside of Scotland, probably because of the accents and the use of uniquely Scottish terms too. Give it a try, you might get addicted. We watch an episode a night to cheer us up!

18 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

comedy series called Still Game.

I can't seem to find it on our Netflix. It is probably only released in certain countries. Thanks for the tip, though

3 hours ago, xelas said:

@PeterHG there are some episodes on YouTube.

@Dave Williams is it possible to find any with subtitles :unsure:?

Netflix offers the option of subtitles on just about everything. I think.

Another vote for "Still game". It's a great shame that the whole UK never got to see it.

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

Netflix offers the option of subtitles on just about everything. I think.

True, but the series is not on Netflix in most countries, including ours.

10 hours ago, PeterHG said:

True, but the series is not on Netflix in most countries, including ours.

Yes, I shouldn't assume they offer the same programmes everywhere. :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Galana said:

Another vote for "Still game". It's a great shame that the whole UK never got to see it.

I've never watched it. 

I  think it's on Netflix so all I need is the opportunity, like maybe an excuse to stay at home.

Oh my, would you believe it? My government is telling me to stay home. :rolleyes:

Thanks @Galana. I did manage to find episodes on Youtube, but I must admit the accent makes me miss too much to fully understand it.

@PeterHG it is the same situation here. And with birds :D. However, it is a funny episode.

14 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

but I must admit the accent makes me miss too much to fully understand it.

You are not alone. Even those Sassenachs down south have difficulty which is why it did not get much exposure in England.

When Churchill talked about British and Americans as "two nations divided by a single language" he needed to look closer to home! (A common failing in the south of England.)

Before I provoke the wee Krankie and "Indyref2" I think I better leave this topic.:P

stunning shots, Peter. and belated congrats on the 100th - I've always though european rollers were gorgeous, but yours is rather light in colour, still gorgeous nonetheless. 

somehow my laptop goes mute when I extend the screen to an external one, so I'll catch your video a little later on the ipad. 

On 3/19/2020 at 2:59 AM, PeterHG said:

, Apart from working on photos and staring out of the window I also pick up the guitar at times and try to put some feelings to music. This is a little song for all those that are working so hard in health care. Some of them are close relatives. If you are interested: https://youtu.be/SVXWTcW6ZOQ

That was so lovely. Thank you for sharing.

A short interruption from my SA birds. In order to escape the confinement of the quarantine I drove to the nearby polder area (yes @xelas, the same..). We are still allowed to do that, so I might as wells say goodbye to some winter guests and welcome some returning birds. Almost the forts one to arrive in the meadows is the Black-tailed Godwit. There are quite a few present at the moment but, unfortunately for us, the vast majority will continue their northward journey. The numbers that stay have been declining pretty rapidly over the last decades. Let's try a little movie for this one.

101. Black-tailed Godwit, Arkemheen, March

Edited by PeterHG

102. White-fronted Goose. Arkemheen, March. Still some about, but they won't be here for much longer.

i-XM9Bbzk-XL.jpg

Peter Connan

Man that guy MOVES!

Never seen a Godwit of any description.

103. Barnacle Goose. Arkemheen, March. Well, I could still find one or two.....

104. Lesser Black-backed Gull. Arkemheen, March. As it was so sunny I thought I'd add the 2.0 converter to the 300mm lens, making it a FF equivalent reach of 1200mm. I was not disappointed at some 75 metres distance.

i-C6z52jC-X2.jpg

105. Common Buzzard. Arkemheen, March. Same combo. There are still quite a few buzzards in the polders, but a lot of them will move further north. Still, it is a common bird of prey here, also in summer

i-LRvQ57W-X2.jpg

106. Eurasian Oystercatcher. Arkemheen, March. Also a common sight in the area. Well. I must say this was a welcome change from staying inside for days and it was all from the safety of the car.

i-GWcHfrF-X2.jpg

One more, before I forget. A few weeks ago a rare goose was spotted in the west of the country. As we were going to visit friends (yes, different times) living near the location, we decided to try and find the bird. As it turned out it was the last day it was recorded in our country, so we were lucky in that respect. It was almost dusk when we got there, but I still managed to grab a few shots

107. Ross' Goose. Schiedam, February. A smaller variety of the Snow Goose, nesting in vast colonies on the arctic tundras.

i-PCGtZdM-XL.jpg

Wow! A Ross's is really special. Worth a drive.