A picture a day.

Game Warden

post-49296-0-78399800-1427988947_thumb.jpg

Photographed in the Enkongo Narok Swamp of Amboseli National Park, Kenya on 25 January, 2013 at 11:29 am with a PowerShot S95 camera.

ISO 80, 1/640, f/4.5, handheld Manual exposure.

Two of my favorite subjects — Balearica regulorum, Grey Crowned Crane, and Mt. Kilimanjaro.

It was my first visit to Amboseli and I was exhilarated by all I saw. Safari life was fast becoming the diversion of choice.

Three Chinese students were with me, sharing in the beauty as Anthony steered us towards every more stunning vistas.

It was my second safari, building on what had been learned on the initial safari in 2011.

It's the uncrowded, sun-suffused simplicity which moves me so much. Two subsequent Amboseli visits have been very pleasing.

As a song lyric put it, “What a day for a daydream...”.

KaingU Lodge

Been neglecting this thread. A few weeks back it felt like winter was here - mist on the river, jersey needed in the morning. The rains seemed to be over. They aren't! But it was like this:

1508530_853357218054953_2802330598865202

michael-ibk

Trip Report Teaser: Maya (P2), Tadoba National Park

post-19319-0-22802800-1427995736_thumb.jpg

@@michael-ibk

Enough teasing. But a striking photo!

michael-ibk

Oh my, just realized this topic is in the "Your Africa images".

Game Warden

@@michael-ibk I wouldn't worry, ST topics sometimes wander across international boundaries....

post-49296-0-23357100-1428092637_thumb.jpg

Melierax poliopterus

Photographed at Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, on 28 January, 2015 at 9:04 am with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 250, 1/1600 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

This Melierax poliopterus, Eastern Chanting-Goshawk, was perhaps the most obliging subject for my camera lens in the recent January, 2015 safari.

It remained on a snag for several minutes, despite the vehicle being parked at close range.

We'd been wandering around an out-of-the-way corner of Samburu in a fruitless search for cheetah, which we finally observed and photographed much later that day.

It was a gift to be so close to this bird, thereby able to make a portrait with fidelity to its nobility.

Edited by Tom Kellie

• 3 weeks later...

I would probably also grimace if a Hyena was checking my crotch <_<

post-5254-0-53259800-1429469075_thumb.jpg

Oh my, just realized this topic is in the "Your Africa images".

Don't worry, It does say in the invite that it's a worldwide thread.

Nice shot, my 1st tiger sightings were in Tadoba. We didn't get get as close a you.

post-49296-0-63197700-1429987572_thumb.jpg

Female Trachyphonus erythrocephalus on a Termite Mound in Amboseli National Park

Photographed on 11 February, 2014 at 7:14 am in Amboseli National Park, Kenya, with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/60 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

~ This Trachyphonus erythrocephalus, Red-and-yellow Barbet, was actively probing the top of the termite mound. A kindly cook had advised me to look there in early morning, which resulted in this photograph.

• 3 weeks later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-85630600-1431299933_thumb.jpg

Rock Hyrax with A Leaf

Photographed at the Great Rift Valley Overlook, Kenya on 2 May, 2015 at 9:12 am with an EOS 1D Mark IV camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 6400, 1/800 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

************************************************************************************************

There were 4 or 5 rock hyraxes scampering around the base of the stone retaining wall at the Great Rift Valley Overlook,

During our brief rest stop, there was no view, owing to a cloud enveloping the site, thus the hyrax antics received more attention than usual.

KaingU Lodge

Sitting around on an island while waiting for guests to come and join me for drinks and grilled pork belly. :)

EOS17757-1024x682.jpg

EOS17761-1024x682.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-45375700-1432565974_thumb.jpg

Checkmate

Photographed at 10:01 am on 14 July, 2013 in Futang Village, Liancheng County, Fujian Province, China with an EOS 1D X camera and a Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm f/2 ZE lens.

ISO 100, F/2, 1/160 sec., 50mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure in drizzling conditions.

************************************************************************************************

This female Orthetrum melania with a Diptera sp. was resting in a garden near a small stream at the foot of mountains.

The interplay between the large dragonfly and the much smaller fly attracted my lens.

Edited by Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie

Great picture - brilliant the way you have the eyes of both of them in the same plane of focus (which must be incredibly narrow at f2!)

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie

Great picture - brilliant the way you have the eyes of both of them in the same plane of focus (which must be incredibly narrow at f2!)

~ @@TonyQ

That's truly very kind of you to notice and mention it.

Shielding the camera and lens from the steady drizzle involved holding a flimsy umbrella with one hand while operating the controls with the other.

I went ever-so-slightly back-and-forth with the lens, hoping that neither insect would fly away.

This was the one image which was satisfactory. I'm so pleased and honored that you liked it.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

~ The image of the dragonfly and the fly was the only one of ten shots which had both insects in focus.

The narrow depth of field on the manually focussed Zeiss lens was a fun challenge, which pushed my hand-eye coordination to the limit.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-17561400-1432680131_thumb.jpg

Balearica regulorum at Amboseli

Photographed at 11:36 am on 11 February, 2014 at Amboseli National Park, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/2000 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*******************************************************************************************************

In each of three visits to Amboseli National Park I've greatly enjoyed the close range views of Balearica regulorum, Grey Crowned Crane, which occur there.

Typically, but not always, in pairs, the cranes diligently search for morsels in the short grass they favor. Their exquisite plumage a highlight of any game drive.

Morkel Erasmus

@@Tom Kellie lovely - just dig those cranes!

Here's mine for the day...African Green Pigeon, Kruger National Park

post-14617-0-71618400-1432812200_thumb.jpg

Peter Connan

One day I will see one too!

Nice one @@Morkel Erasmus

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie lovely - just dig those cranes!

Here's mine for the day...African Green Pigeon, Kruger National Park

~ @@Morkel Erasmus

Thank you so much!

Those cranes are the signature bird species of Amboseli in my mind, because they're easy to observe and photograph there, inevitably looking terrific.

I'm so pleased that you liked the image.

My understanding about Treron calvus, African Green Pigeon, is that they're widespread across Africa, typically in the upper canopy of trees.

I've suspected that I've missed ever spotting any because my eyes and lens are more centered at ground level.

Perhaps it's time for me to occasionally look upward more, as it would be satisfying to spot one, eating fruit.

Your photo is exactly the kind I like.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-59848200-1433290437_thumb.jpg

Warning! No Swimming!
Photographed at 4:05 pm on 9 February, 2014 at Lake Baringo, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.
ISO 800, 1/2000 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.
*****************************************************************************************************
If one were unfortunate enough to be swimming in Lake Baringo and encounter the above sight, one might reasonably interpret it as a highly unfavorable portent.

Peter Connan

Now that is stunning @@Tom Kellie!

Tom Kellie

Now that is stunning @@Tom Kellie!

~ @@Peter Connan

It was an unexpectedly close encounter.

When pushing the shutter, I was hoping that we wouldn't linger.

It turned out that the crocodile was thinking likewise.

Tom K.

post-49296-0-76317300-1433911259_thumb.jpg

Perched Beside the Nest

Photographed at 4:55 pm on 9 February, 2014 on Lake Baringo, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/1600 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

From a distance a large nest high in a dead tree was visible to us from the boat on Lake Baringo. The tree was far out from shore, suggesting where the pre-flood shoreline might have been.

A fish eagle was settled on the nest, with its mate perched nearby. The standing fish eagle watched our drifting approach, secure in its lofty eyrie, far removed from the cares below.

• 2 weeks later...
Ben mosquito

Have a good weekend, relax and enjoy, from Meru NP.

post-26959-0-37900500-1434791304_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben mosquito