Kwando Files (Images from Lebala/Lagoon)

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

You are too kind!!! @@Pennyanne ..... Thank You!!!

michael-ibk

Spectacular thread, thank you so much for these pictures. Especially love your blood-stained cheetah shots. (Whatever that might tell about my psyche... B) )

madaboutcheetah

Haha. Thanks a lot, Michael!!!

• 2 weeks later...
owenshaffer

I've been to Lagoon,Lebala,and Little Kwara before. This year I'll be returning to Lagoon to see wild dogs and hopefully puppies. I'll also be going to Tuba Tree. I love these photos and have happy memories of Hobbs,Mr.Moe,etc.

africapurohit

Where has this thread been hiding? I've only just seen it today :o . Thank you @@madaboutcheetah for sharing some amazing photos. I will add some photos soon, including those of a special female cheetah seen in 2006.

Game Warden

Tut tut @@africapurohit . Safaritalk detention for you in which you will write out "I will pay more attention and not just use the View new content tab." 100 times...

africapurohit

I blame confusion for my mistake - I would have searched for this thread under "photography talk" :rolleyes:

madaboutcheetah

Where has this thread been hiding? I've only just seen it today :o . Thank you @@madaboutcheetah for sharing some amazing photos. I will add some photos soon, including those of a special female cheetah seen in 2006.

Thanks a lot ..... @@africapurohit. That is the same female cheetah in a couple of the images on this thread. I last saw her in 2008.

• 3 weeks later...

This cheetah you refer to may be my avatar.

madaboutcheetah

This cheetah you refer to may be my avatar.

Indeed - the very same one. I think Lynn and I both saw her in August 2006 from memory -

• 6 months later...
madaboutcheetah

Onto October 2013 ............... The boys are spending a heck of a lot of time way north of the concession in Muvumbi valley - a long trek from Lagoon and only one main road there beyond Kwena Lagoon (usually only used by the BDF on patrol). They hunt a lot in the woodland there.

This image is when they popped back into Lagoon just before i came back home. The valley itself is stunning and think will come to life during the months when it holds water. Game very sporadic right now as it's far away from the water.

post-308-0-81921900-1382865588_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

How is Spencer?

Doing well, Pen ...... in full form. We had a couple of all day tracking sessions in the October heat too - Phew!!!

madaboutcheetah

A herd of Eland - although, regularly seen - very skittish (sorry this is the best we could come up wrt to an image)

post-308-0-54852500-1382889773_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

They are getting old and doing a lot of sleeping during the day time - move incredibly with the full moon and sleep all day. You make the most of your photographic opportunity with the few chances you get!!!

I must admit - it was also the October heat where the predators do so little during the day time combined with the full moon cycle.

post-308-0-91730500-1382963572_thumb.jpg

africapurohit

@@madaboutcheetah thanks for the updates. Keep them coming! The eland herd is impressive - when I was in Kwando for 9 days during Oct/Nov 2006 I only saw one eland, but the rains had come early that year

This is perfect timing for these pics....I know Feb is green season, but I am getting excited about being at LK and Lagoon.

I did talk to my TA and there are private vehicles available...we have never done a private vehicle, but all the time we have spent on previous safaris there have never been more than 4 total including us in a vehicle....what are the chances in Feb at LK and Lagoon that we will have more than 4 people in a Land Cruiser?

madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah thanks for the updates. Keep them coming! The eland herd is impressive - when I was in Kwando for 9 days during Oct/Nov 2006 I only saw one eland, but the rains had come early that year

I don't think the rains have anything to do with Eland nowadays - I saw them even in Feb 2011 during the rains - I've seen Eland herds every year since 2010. Don't know what's different now that they keep popping out. Very skittish, though. They don't pose like the ones in the Mara.

madaboutcheetah

This is perfect timing for these pics....I know Feb is green season, but I am getting excited about being at LK and Lagoon.

I did talk to my TA and there are private vehicles available...we have never done a private vehicle, but all the time we have spent on previous safaris there have never been more than 4 total including us in a vehicle....what are the chances in Feb at LK and Lagoon that we will have more than 4 people in a Land Cruiser?

@, can we have all the availability/PV questions in the other thread, please so that everything is in one place? Thank You ...........

@, can we have all the availability/PV questions in the other thread, please so that everything is in one place? Thank You ...........

Yes...

madaboutcheetah

Bush McDonald's .............. (i have to post a few non cheetah images to not go completely bonkers)

post-308-0-17822800-1382973733_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Relaxed kudu in new flood plains that are around Lebala camp - they call this place "The Park" - Leopards a daily sighting here in the park. some parts of the park has some very open Ndutu like short grass where Wildebeests tend to hang around.

post-308-0-91195500-1382974007_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Crowned plover incubating ........ Was waiting under a tree in the shade while the boys were sleeping and just happened to come across this (and not having used my camera most of the day)

post-308-0-27402300-1382974212_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

back to Cheetah....

post-308-0-52958300-1383122651_thumb.jpg