Kwando Files (Images from Lebala/Lagoon)

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Fantastic series @@madaboutcheetah - thank you. BTW Sue sends her regards ;) (Pic to follow in my report)

Look forward to your report :)

Thank You!!!

madaboutcheetah

Another way they scent mark .........

post-308-0-37128700-1383995050_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

One final cheetah image for the time- being (bear in mind they have to keep marking more often; but they are not doing so - as it stands their territory is challenged by a coalition of two males) ........... These 3 haven't ventured far enough down the Lebala side in a mighty long time. So long, that the Great Plains (Selinda) newsletter wrongly mis-identified the two new coalition males as these guys (a few months ago)........... HOW COULD THEY????? Just kidding!!!!

post-308-0-02550200-1383995324_thumb.jpg

Hari, that is a superb collection of photos.

being a bit thick it took me a couple of pages to realise they were not all from the same safari, but even so, Wow!

Do you by any chance like cheetahs?

We should call this thread 'The True Life Confessions of a Cheetah Addict'!

You honest to goodness jumped on the next plane from LK to Lebala? Laundry in bag? And spent the next 2 days tracking them in the woodlands? :D Hari, you are priceless...

madaboutcheetah

Thanks guys for all your kind words ..... Appreciate it!!!

@@Sangeeta - luckily, I had done my fair share of tracking prior to leaving L/L the first time. When I returned - they just stayed put and once they are in the game drive section they are pretty easy to track down. Their routes in the Lagoon/Lebala section is well known - so it's easy.

It was comical - where my tracker Mr.Moe knew that I was definitely going to come back and had got himself all ready (even before the confirmation/flight arrangements) etc etc., he was to have a couple days off - but, went to Lebo to say get ready - I'm certain they are coming!!!!

Have a good weekend!!!

Thanks guys for all your kind words ..... Appreciate it!!!

@@Sangeeta - luckily, I had done my fair share of tracking prior to leaving L/L the first time. When I returned - they just stayed put and once they are in the game drive section they are pretty easy to track down. Their routes in the Lagoon/Lebala section is well known - so it's easy.

It was comical - where my tracker Mr.Moe knew that I was definitely going to come back and had got himself all ready (even before the confirmation/flight arrangements) etc etc., he was to have a couple days off - but, went to Lebo to say get ready - I'm certain they are coming!!!!

Have a good weekend!!!

Mr. Moe def knows you as well as he knows the brothers. He successfully anticipated two sets of movements :) That is impressive reading of both human and animal behavior!

This is still epic, Hari - I will remember this one for a long time :D

Edited by Sangeeta

madaboutcheetah

Haha - so will the pilot for sure!!!

madaboutcheetah

Ok - one more image - He's jumping off his log!

post-308-0-67140700-1384067037_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Yellow billed kite

post-308-0-53484200-1384074869_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Yellow Billed Kite about to Perch on the stump (for some reason in the summer months when they are around - it's so easy to find them and get a couple of images as they are always following the predators or a rotting carcass somewhere)

post-308-0-79765200-1384075075_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Tawny Eagle (Those cheetah boys continue to play hide and seek and they will get me photographing more birds) - can't believe I spent half an hour with Arnott's Chat (images to come later) inside the Mopane veldt.

post-308-0-04216600-1384075541_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Lazy October -

3 Young males (part of a 4 male coalition); were seen tagging the buffalo herd; recently been kicked out of the pride?

post-308-0-04129500-1384080015_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Tawny about to take off - (personally never thought I'd have the patience to try this)

post-308-0-33630700-1384091189_thumb.jpg

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Lazy Lions again .......(atleast they are sitting up)

post-308-0-56393700-1384093587_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Surprise! Surprise!! (His attempt at being cheetah-like)

post-308-0-87323600-1384093810_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Lebala - the lounge with a view (all dry season long, herds of Elephants pass through the flood plains in front of camp)

post-308-0-35232100-1384094045_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Dogs (part of the pack of 9) - As mentioned; the pack split up into 3 or 4 splinter packs a few months ago. 4 males (from the Muvumbi pack in the Upper Kwando- Muvumbi valley) invaded the lagoon pack disrupting the pack dynamics. Will have pictures of the Muvumbis (The orange color dog hereis one of them). Here they are feeding on a kudu in the "park" right out of Lebala camp.

post-308-0-16863700-1384096273_thumb.jpg

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

He's a Muvumbi!!! (see the Orange coat dog in the foreground) -

post-308-0-92647700-1384175821_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Zebra in "the Park"; they've had some flood plains + sausage tree filled islands dry up - combined with some bush fires resulting in the area right around Lebala camp that's pumping with game at the moment.

post-308-0-45058200-1384176037_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Hello!!!

post-308-0-08648500-1384176883_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Why can't I get greedy? There's plenty of meat on that kudu!

post-308-0-44558300-1384177142_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Mr.Moe ..........

post-308-0-33140600-1384309754_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

We got the entire Lebala camp to get out at 5am with the anticipation that it would be cheetah hunting day - but, alas they whacked an impala in the wee hours of the morning and were fully fed by the time we caught up at 6am (light just coming up) - Was still able to come up with this!!! - they stopped by this log en route to the kalahari apple leaf where they would rest the entire day. (DAMN THE FULL MOON!!!)

post-308-0-86618100-1384309985_thumb.jpg