Kwando Files (Images from Lebala/Lagoon)

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

I like this one - only because they were active for so little time on this recent trip!

post-308-0-57186300-1383123178_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

What's with my obsession of blood stained faces???

post-308-0-70491100-1383209160_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Plains game not far from the ever popular picnic spot - John's pan

post-308-0-45623600-1383209699_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah, your issue with image attachments now resolved ok?

Yes it is, Thank You ....... Enjoy WTM and keep us posted!!!

madaboutcheetah

I can hear Spencer's voice here ....... "he's a Coward!!! Look at him!"

post-308-0-19464800-1383272662_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

The Boys on Patrol -

post-308-0-22862500-1383299820_thumb.jpg

What's with my obsession of blood stained faces???

That blood stained face image is so much like one of John M's it is uncanny. Love the tones in the background.

@@madaboutcheetah

This a fantastic report/series of reports

It is clear why you chose your name!

I missed this when you started it and only came across it a few days ago. Wonderful pictures all the way through - especially enjoy the wild dogs and of course the cheetah - I think your love for them really shines through.

I know this started as in the photo section and was moved, but as it is in the trip report section, could you tell us a bit more about the camps. Lots of readers appear familiar, but I am sure others (or at least me) would find it helpful to hear a bit about them. Do you always go to the same camps? Why these? (although your pictures might be the obvious explanation). You have been at different times of year - what are the advantages of different times?

I think you will have stimulated the interest of lots of people!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot, @@TonyQ

These images come from the Kwando concession in the linyanti, Botswana. They have two camps there - Lagoon and Lebala. It is the biggest concession in Bots, 232,000 Sq Hectares. Both are 9 room camps.

www.kwando.co.bw has a lot of images of the camps itself. Kwando has a history of great game viewing, awesome guiding and ultra flexibility in their operations. You want to stay out all day and watch hunting cheetahs ...... go for it!!!! I've been guided by Spencer Mathambo for over ten years now. His knowledge of the concession and the game movements is legendary.

Why do I like these camps? It is truly wild Botswana - It is great Wild dog and Cheetah country. Good chance for Roan, Sable and Eland too ........ Lagoon is where the dogs have historically denned every winter (not this year because the alpha pair died from old age).

Different times of the year is different - dogs den in the winter/dry season. Late dry season you see the pups being active. In the green season (summer) - you see healthy plains game, good birding etc etc(might need to work harder for predators).,

I booked my return for 2014 this past monday (got home last sunday) - Love these two camps!!!!

@madaboutcheetah what time of year did you decide to go for next year? Did you manage to find some space in June?

How many times have you been to these camps now and at what times of year? I know we just missed each other in July 2010.

madaboutcheetah

@madaboutcheetah what time of year did you decide to go for next year? Did you manage to find some space in June?

How many times have you been to these camps now and at what times of year? I know we just missed each other in July 2010.

@@stokeygirl ......... end June into first week July. Could not get space for mid-june because we have 2 rooms next year. We are a party of 3 - other two have Little Kwara and Tau Pan too. I stay put at lagoon and Lebala.

I've been to Kwando on 14 trips - but, 11 times on the concession (other 3 times didnt visit the concession during the green season) .......... I've been Dec, Jan, Feb, June, July, Aug, Sep, Oct (between Lebala and Lagoon) ............

Edited by madaboutcheetah

I've been to Kwando on 14 trips - but, 11 times on the concession (other 3 times didnt visit the concession during the green season) .......... I've been Dec, Jan, Feb, June, July, Aug, Sep, Oct (between Lebala and Lagoon) ............

Hari - Do you have like a frequent flyer Kwando card or something? :-D

madaboutcheetah

This one is from the deck at Lagoon camp (from my iphone)

post-308-0-48568700-1383502859_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-11889100-1383502953_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Lebo the camp manager bidding us goodbye (one of our favourite managers and we've known her for over 10 years now). The others in the frame are Duff and Oki - Lebala is always going to be my favourite camp!

post-308-0-45538500-1383503337_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

The Selinda Spillway from the air

post-308-0-81080900-1383503515_thumb.jpg

That Lagoon pic is really making me looking forward even more to March... :)

madaboutcheetah

October Sunset - (not far from "watercut" in the Lagoon area)

post-308-0-00771000-1383532193_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Quintessentially Lebala (last couple of my images are via iphone)

post-308-0-20519800-1383532317_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Lagoon camp bar (that's Dux - guide turned manager and he's a great one) and Senior Kim the waitress (I remember her first day a few years ago, where she was so shy and was self-conscious to list the dinner menu (although the entire table gave her an awesome applause) - Wow she now is confident, poised and awesome). Pardon the quality of the iphone images here ....... I don't want this thread to be all about photography or cheetahs ......... Just wanted to add a few behind the scene moments that keep taking me back to Kwando - "Home away from home atmosphere"

post-308-0-00383000-1383532704_thumb.jpg

@@madaboutcheetah

The camp looks great

It seems June is busy - is that the time that the pups emerge? (you did mention it in relation to the dry season but I am not familiar with the timing of this in Botswana)

Is that a good time for a first trip do you think?

madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah

The camp looks great

It seems June is busy - is that the time that the pups emerge? (you did mention it in relation to the dry season but I am not familiar with the timing of this in Botswana)

Is that a good time for a first trip do you think?

@@TonyQ - July into August is more reliable for the pups. June is still a bit early to see the pups i feel (unless they go into denning early - which is what I'm expecting due to the change in pack dynamics this year).

Apart from this year (which has been a strange one) the dogs would usually den in early June. That seems about right for the Lagoon pack and the pack which has denned at Kwara the last 2 years. But when the puppies are very small they will be hidden. I think the Kwando sightings report mentioned them seeing the puppies for the first time right near the end of June, but even then it was probably quite a brief glimpse.

I was at Lagoon in mid July in 2010 and saw the puppies (about 6 weeks old) but they were still quite close to the den entrance and obscured by bushes. Probably even later would be better.

However, there is a big price differential between June and July/Aug because they switch from shoulder to peak pricing.

June should still be good for dog sightings- when they are denning they are localised and much easier to find, follow hunting etc. But I wouldn't count on seeing the puppies.

But I think one big reason June is busy is because of the switch to peak pricing- I think it makes late June very good value.

Edited by stokeygirl