PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

125 (CR 84). Limpkin. Cano Negro, Febr.

spacer.png

126 (CR 85). Southern Lapwing. Cano Negro, Febr.

spacer.png

127 (CR 86). Green Heron. Cano Negro, Febr. Very common throughout the trip.

spacer.png

128 (CR 87). Green Kingfisher. Cano Negro, Febr. 

spacer.png

129 (CR 88). Black-bellied Whistling Duck. Cano Negro, Febr.

spacer.png

130 (CR 89). Amazon Kingfisher. Cano Negro, Febr.

spacer.png

131 (CR 90). Osprey. Cano Negro, Febr. This concludes the Cano Negro sightings, unless I happen to come across one I missed at a later stage. An area definitely worth visiting, with quite a few species we did not see anywhere else in Costa Rica.

spacer.png

Edited by PeterHG

Peter Connan

Some wonderful shots again!

Dave Williams

More quality images here Peter, the Yellowleg comparison is excellent. No wonder I can't tell them apart when they are not stood together though.

132 (CR 91) Tody Motmot. Bijagua, Febr. When taking an early morning walk through the dense forest behind our accommodation, I decided to try and play the sound of the Tody Motmot as it was supposed to be one of the special birds of the region. To our amazement it responded almost instantly and after ten minutes or so ventured close enough for a shot. Almost too dark for a photo, but with 1/40 at iso 6400, I was able to get this one. Not very good, of course, but I'm very happy with it anyway. A lifer.

spacer.png

Peter Connan

Beautiful little fella!

133 (CR 92) Crested Guan. Bijagua, Febr. This big bird regularly came to the feeder of the lodge and scared the living daylights out of some French tourist by attemping to land on his head (no photo, I'm sorry to say...). Whether it was an attack or not remains to be seen, but the Frenchman stayed away from the feeder after that.

spacer.png

134 (CR 93). Scissor-tailed Flycatcher . Palo Verde, Febr. From Bijagua we decided to do a little trip to the Palo Verde Reserve. As we only arrived later n the day, we did not see as many birds as we'd hoped for but we did get a few nice species, like this flycatcher.

spacer.png

Edited by PeterHG

135 (CR 94) Roadside Hawk. Palo Verde, Febr. We spotted this beautiful raptor at the roadside. Well, .....

spacer.png

136 (CR 95) Green Ibis. Palo Verde, Febr. The midday sun is really too harsh for photography, but it did make the ibis quite green.

spacer.png

Edited by PeterHG

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

134 (CR 93). . Palo Verde, Feb

Yes, but what is it? Very nice anyway. I hope this is not an extension of Every bird counts to ANY bird counts!!:D

37 minutes ago, Galana said:

Yes, but what is it? Very nice anyway. I hope this is not an extension of Every bird counts to ANY bird counts!!:D

:D Great idea...! Sorry about the oversight. Corrected it now.

137 (CR 96) Wood Stork. Palo Verde Febr. 

spacer.png

138 (CR 97) Hoffmann's Woodpecker. Palo Verde, Febr.

spacer.png

139. (CR 98) Grey-breasted Martin.Palo Verde, febr. Fairly common, it seems, but the only time we saw one.

spacer.png

Off to our next destination, Samara, the Pacific Coast, but not without saying goodbye to the most relaxed inhabitant of the Bijagua Lodge.

spacer.png

Samara is a pleasant little seaside place. Touristy, yes, but not overwhelmingly so and beach walks led to very nice river mouths where all sorts of waders could be found.

140 CR (99) Spotted Sandpiper. Samara, Febr.

spacer.png

141 (CR 100) Willet. Samara, Febr.

spacer.png

142 (CR 101) Least Sandpiper. Samara, Febr.

spacer.png

143 (CR 102) Semipalmated Plover. Samara, Febr.

spacer.png