PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

144 (CR 103) Royal Tern. Samara, Febr. One of two could usually be seen from the beach, although they kept their distance.

spacer.png

The river mouth also attracted a few Snowy Egrets. Already in the count from previous locations.

spacer.png

And the occasional Whimbrel visited for a quick bath.

145 (CR 104) Whimbrel. Samara, Febr.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The hills behind the hotel also produced some interesting additions.

146 (CR 105) White-throated Magpie-Jay. Samara, Febr. 

spacer.png

147 (CR 106) Cinnamon Hummingbird. Samara, Febr. This Hummingbird is only found in the northwestern Pacific region and we saw it only once. Another lifer.

spacer.png

Edited by PeterHG

148 (CR 107) Turqoise-browed Motmot. Samara, Febr. The same range as the previous bird. Another representative of this colourful family.

spacer.png

149 (CR 108). Inca Dove. Samara, Febr. Yes, that branch...

spacer.png

150 (CR 109) Black-headed Trogon. Samara, Febr.

spacer.png

Peter Connan

A really great run of shots!

Superb series.  Well done.

Loved the two Sloth. I could envy her.

Some beautiful shots - the motmots, yellowlegs and plover are particularly good

Kitsafari

Brilliant collection from Costa Rica. I'm really enjoying the amazing new birds. the Turquoise motmot just took my breath away. 

Love the two sloths as well. 

151 (CR 110). Orange-fronted Parakeet. Samara, Febr. Very distant, but the only ones we saw.

spacer.png

152 (CR 111). Rufous-naped Wren. Samara, Febr. It seemed likethe whole family of wrens was involved in building a nest. 

spacer.png

Excellent selection and great photos. Very enjoyable 

michael-ibk

Agreed, great series. You saw quite a lot of species we missed, I enjoy seeing them. 

Your photos does represent perfectly how great the birdlife of Costa Rica is!

Thanks @Kitsafari, @TonyQ, @michael-ibk and @xelas

20 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

You saw quite a lot of species we missed, I enjoy seeing them. 

And the other way round, of course. The weather for me was much better than it was for you and @xelas last year, but you both still managed to come up with many good species. 

Off to the Monteverde area for a few days. 

153 (CR 112). Rufous-winged Woodpecker. Monteverde, Febr. Female. The book does not really place it in the Monteverde mountains, but sightings on Ebird confirm that it is seen there regularly.

spacer.png

154 (CR 113) Emerald Toucanet. Monteverde, Febr. We only saw them on one or two occasions. Mostly feeding in the branches of the tree behind our little chalet. 

spacer.png

155 (CR 114). Orange-billed Nightingale Thrush. Monteverde, Febr. Just one quick sighting near our cabin, so no change for  better shot.

spacer.png

156 (CR 115). Rufous-capped Warbler. Monteverde, Febr. I usually avoid feeder photos, but this is the only time it made an appearance and I need the count...;)

spacer.png

157 (CR 116). Wilson's Warbler. Monteverde, Febr. Unmistakable, because of the black cap. Quite common winter resident.

spacer.png

Near the entrance to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve is the so-called Hummingbird Café, which has a lot of feeders, attracting quite a number of Hummingbird species. And tourists. For the price of a coffee and a snack you can spend some time there, getting familiar with some 8 species. Photography, always a bit of a challenge with Hummingbirds, is not easy, as all of the feeders are in the deep shade of the forest. But if you take the high iso's for granted, it's still certainly possible.

158 (CR 117) Green-crowned Brilliant. One of the more common species at the feeders

The male

spacer.png

And the female.

spacer.png