Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams
14 hours ago, pedro maia said:

Beautiful picture of the rollers Dave, they were also taken from a hide?

They are quite skittish here.

Yes Pedro, most of my photos from Spain will have been taken from a pro hide at "Hides de El Taray" which is an hour or so South from Madrid. I had mixed success out of the 14 sessions over 7 days, the Great Bustard hide for me was a big disappointment as it was my top target, another hide failed to produce any birds at all really and my first attempt using a floating hide had me swearing never again as it was so exhausting. However, I did try again despite severe reservations and this time it was brilliant as instead of almost lying flat the water was so shallow you could actually walk along with the water at chest level making it easy to move around.

Dave Williams

Just the one seen, and I think only by me. We had high hopes of some close up views but I guess it wasn't to be,

152) Bearded Tit

52054963698_71563e7713_b.jpgBearded Tit/Reedling.  BY152 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The only one I saw during the 7 days at El Taray. A fleeting glimpse as it briefly visited a bush near the drinking pool

153)Serin

52053895882_7b542c4711_b.jpgSerin.   BY153 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Coming in to land at one of the raptor feeding station Hides de El Taray.

154)Black Kite

52056020458_e5f47b4425_b.jpgBlack Kite.   BY154 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

michael-ibk

The Rollers are fantastic! Also really like the Black Kite with this background, beautiful!

Dave Williams

My big regret from my visit to El Taray was that I didn't make the time and opportunity to photograph this species. There were quite a few seen but I was always prioritising other "more desirable" species. When I had them in the bag the Terns were not to be seen!

155)Black Tern

52056180346_8a6ac47726_b.jpgBlack Tern.   BY154 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

11 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

the Terns were not to be seen!

Hence the phrase 'missing your tern?'

Dave Williams

This is a bird I have wanted to photograph well for several years. I'm still waiting for the sighting I'm after but meanwhile I was delighted to find one in a Madrid park to add to my Big Year!

157)Green Woodpecker

52062604794_33eb80793c_b.jpgGreen Woodpecker.    BY157 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Rain stopped play on our last morning which we'd hoped to spend in Sierra de Gredos so we'd headed south to Madrid and killed time in Juan Carlos park. It turned out quite well!

158) Monk Parakeet

52062403176_363744cb71_b.jpgMonk Parakeet.   BY158 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Big numbers of Flamingo flew over Laguna El Taray at dawn and dusk but I only saw two on the ground, well water really. They flew when I appeared out of the reed bed despite being at least 100m away. Certainly not the most confiding birds in these parts!

159)Greater Flamingo

52065095352_b175f5fc99_b.jpgGreater Flamingo.   BY159 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

love that starling yelling as loud as it can!

Dave Williams

Delighted to see one in Spain as it must be 5 years ago since my last sighting and photo opportunity. I prefer the fence being obscured by thistles even if it means the Owl is too! I have another shot on my Flickr page which gives a clear view.

161)Little Owl

52066329078_5a07bd15bd_b.jpgLittle Owl.    BY161 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Another species at the El Taray Kestrel hide, this one was contemplating what to do with the nesting material that wouldn't fit through the hole to the nest!

162)Jackdaw

52066877610_d1b932fe1c_b.jpgJackdaw.        BY162 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I had a lot of catching up to do after a week away in Lesvos, so I only got to see most of your Spain photos now. Great stuff, Dave and requiring a lot of patience, no doubt. The Roller shot is simply stunning and also your raptors are magnificent! Sorry you more or less missed out on the main target, but an impressive collection all the same.

Dave Williams

This was one of only two sightings of the birds with their prey, in this instance a Mole Cricket I think. Soon they will be regular sightings as they bring in food for their young.

163)Lesser Kestrel

52066536866_fc699be37a_b.jpgLesser Kestrel.     BY163 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

You got some beautiful shots in Spain Dave

Excellent stuff.  Nice Little Owl and I can imagine the thinking of that Jackdaw.

Beautiful Little Owl!

all caught up now. You've been getting about a bit Dave with some super shots as a reward. I don't have the patience for hides, but they seem to have served you well.

Just caught up with your Cuba photos. Some great shots and it brought back memories for me. You did well on the warblers, they are so confusing! The shot of the Cuban Solitaire singing is brilliant - and don't they have a lovely song!