Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Definitely the best bird of the visit to NE Bulgaria as it was a "lifer" for me!

197)Grey-headed Woodpecker

52118236412_f4f17c1e57_b.jpgGrey-headed Woodpecker. BY197 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

We had superb views which lasted a good while as she groomed herself in front of the Tower hide.

52119517454_6f7fa5e812_b.jpgGrey-headed Woodpecker. BY197 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Great stuff of which legends are made. Double ton is not far off.

michael-ibk

Some great birds and photos Dave, bravo! Congrats on your Woodpecker lifer. The Wolf sighting was just awesome! I´m pretty sure I was in that very same hide but it was a lot less happening for me. I´m very jealous about your "tedious" Hawfinches, really love them and have never had quality sightings like this!

Dave Williams

I have just seen my membership upgraded to to "community regular" . Happy days! 

Bit naff in my opinion @Game Warden. Do we need evaluation!?

Dave Williams

Quite a common sight but getting close using the car as a hide wasn't easy. This one was hunting from a shaded spot in the heat of the day. 

198)Red-backed Shrike

52121115916_42f25fca2f_b.jpgRed-backed Shrike.   BY198 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The bird would insist on choosing the worst possible perches for photography in amongst a particular dead plant.

199)Black-headed Bunting

52121150241_2ce51136a5_b.jpgBlack-headed Bunting.    BY199 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

With hide possibilities exhausted we decided to stake out a local lake where we were told Little Bittern were a distinct possibility. I went walkabout and what I thought was a distant Reed Warbler turned out to be a lifer instead. Shame I only discovered this from the photos when I got home a week later as I would have tried for closer views!

200) Marsh Warbler

52121635554_0a83543361_b.jpgMarsh Warbler.       BY 200 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

michael-ibk

Congrats on #200 Dave. As always your photography standard is something to aspire to. I'm curious, what made you decide this is a Marsh and not a Reed Warbler as you first thought? Leg colour? Not suggesting it is not a Marsh but I find it impossible to safely tell these two apart on a photo. 

Edited by michael-ibk

A lifer for your #200. 

Maybe you could have got closer, maybe it would have flown away. Whatever, you got an acceptable photo.

Well done on reaching 200 with consistently excellent photos 

Congrats on the double century 

pedro maia

Congrats on the second ton with great pictures as usual, and the wolf and the wild cat don’t count but are incredible sightings.

My congratulations also, for reaching #200, well done and excellent IQ.

Dave Williams
5 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Congrats on #200 Dave. As always your photography standard is something to aspire to. I'm curious, what made you decide this is a Marsh and not a Reed Warbler as you first thought? Leg colour? Not suggesting it is not a Marsh but I find it impossible to safely tell these two apart on a photo. 

The Warbler sounded a bit like a Reed Warbler but not quite right.I took some shots as I don't have Reed Warbler in my BY yet. Looking at the shots it looked different so I checked the guide book. I had a thought it might be Lesser Whitethroat but the more I looked it became obvious to me it was more likely to be Marsh Warbler and the song was the clincher along with the "kinder" look.. I posted shots on "Birdforum' and the unanimous decision was my ID was correct.

More congratulations on 200 from me too.

Congratulations on 200 from me too

Congratulations on both the #200 and the lifer! Beautiful hide photography in spite of the sometimes dull conditions.

Dave Williams

By crawling through the reedbed I was able to get myself reasonably close whilst  undetected . Lying down the point of view was as good as in a hydro hide and these were some of the most satisfying moments of our tour of Bulgaria!

202)Ruddy Shellduck

52124406195_8583a0c6e0_b.jpgRuddy Shellduck.  BY202 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

My big regret is we'd left it until the last day to try this spot which has so much potential too. 

52124149599_f815a4c61b_b.jpgRuddy Shellduck.  BY202 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

On Mount Vitosha I settled for whatever I could get of the 204)Yellowhammer. one for my Big Year but there were bigger and better targets to aim for and not too much time!

52124619096_8424ecab8f_b.jpgYellowhammer. BY 204 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

At altitude by the Ski lift on Mount Vitosha which overlooks Sofia, the capital city of Bulgaria.

Out of sync here !

203)Black Redstart

52124625376_91b0b630bb_b.jpgBlack Redstart.   BY 203 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The female feeding on the snow line high up on Mount Vitosha ,Bulgaria

205) Ring Ouzel

52124841513_258630cd18_b.jpgRing Ouzel.   BY205 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The two targets for Mount Vitosha were Nutcracker and Alpine Accentor. I found both but photographed just one of them! Right at death as it started to rain...206)Nutcracker...high in the tree but one for the Big Year and a target met. That's it for Bulgaria!

52125066009_0c2bd0f2b9_b.jpgNutcracker.  BY206 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

A productive trip Dave. The Ring Ouzel is a beauty 

Dave Williams
47 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

A productive trip Dave. The Ring Ouzel is a beauty 

Having just gone through @michael-ibk 's BY my 22 birds for Bulgaria isn't much of a return for nine days!!

Mind you Spain was 35 in ten, Cyprus 44 in seven and Cuba 49 in fourteen days. I need to choose different destinations or try harder!!