Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

More stunning shots from Cyprus. In particular the kestrel and the Bluethroat.

(were you staying in Paphos?)

Bluethroat is such a lovely bird! About Spur-winged, is it not easily seen in South Africa?!

2 hours ago, xelas said:

About Spur-winged, is it not easily seen in South Africa?!

and isn't it now a Lapwing?

ahhh love seeing the bluethroat too. 

Dave Williams

Thanks all for your comments everyone. I have been so pushed for time and continue to be so that I'm falling behind in everything including everyone's BY's and TR's.

@TonyQYes we were in Paphos, a spur of the moment 48 hour's notice late booking and a good deal on an AI package with EasyJet. A 4* hotel but the demographic changed over the week and let's just say we arrived and left at the right time!

I had to be back for the big match tomorrow, I have tickets. We also have 3 guests arriving on Thursday for 5 nights so preparations are in order...then I'm off to Spain for 10 days with birding pals in two weeks time.

@xelas@Soukous Maybe you can answer the query ...do you see Spur-winged Lapwings in SA? I don't think I have seen one there. You are more in touch than I am though Martin, seems the Plover is replaced by Lapwing. Why? Who knows!

Excellent photos again, Dave! I’ve only ever once seen a Pallid Harrier so I would take any shot at all. You added some beautiful detail with the insects!

michael-ibk

Agree, beautiful photos. No migrating Bluethroats for me this year. :(

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

do you see Spur-winged Lapwings in SA?

Very rare vagrant south of the Zambezi/Kunene.

Plover /Lapwing.. Charadrius v Vanellus. It's to confuse old men and sell new books to young spendthrifts.

I see the logic in that Vanellus have flappy rounded wings and Charadrius have small pointy ones but what do I know? I still call the Northern/Green Plover/ Lapwing a Pyewype or Earkan.

21 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

@xelas@Soukous Maybe you can answer the query ...do you see Spur-winged Lapwings in SA?

Unlikely. You can find them in northern Botswana and northern Zimbabwe, but they are more common in Easy Africa than Southern Africa

8 hours ago, Soukous said:

Easy Africa

Very Freudian misstype.:P

13 hours ago, Galana said:

Very Freudian misstype.:P

:o

Dave Williams

I might not see another this year so here are a distant pair in Paphos Harbour taken from my seat at the nearest bar to the exit to the archaeological site! OK, they could be Herring Gulls in Llandudno but not in that sun!!

116)Yellow-legged Gull

52000036780_5942a41c19_b.jpgYellow-legged Gull.   BY116 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Swallows,Swifts and Martins are the real test of both photographer and equipment.Many a time I have wanted to throw my gear in the nearest lake or off the nearest bridge, lucky if I managed a couple of keepers out of hundreds. Things seem to have changed, I was just messing about shooting distant birds but was amazed to find a keeper rate of around 30% which for me is quite incredible. Can't weait to try for closer images as these are huge 100%+ crops.

120)House Martin

51999500766_072c9da2c5_b.jpgHouse Martin.  BY120 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

17 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Swallows,Swifts and Martins are the real test of both photographer and equipment.

You have passed this test with flying colours!

Great effort on the Swallows! As you say, they are hard to get good photos of and these are beautiful !

Agree, excellent photos of Swallows etc 

Dave Williams

Wheatears in the UK are pretty straight forward, they are almost certainly going to be like this one

125) Northern Wheatear

52001569128_a7709b95f1_b.jpgNorthern Wheatear.  BY124 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The most common one I'm told is this one, but they are in lots of different plumage and don't all show the black that this one seems to be developing.

127) Black-eared Wheatear

52001762749_a6d8ce6849_b.jpgBlack-eared Wheatear   BY126 by Dave Williams, on Flickr