Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

This one was the only one I saw and was a lifer too, so a bit special. Behind the ropes in the ruins of Paphos archaeological ruins so I couldn't get on the right side of the light!

128)Cyprus Wheatear

52001502111_8c69ec8cd2_b.jpgCyprus Wheatear   BY127 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Before heading to Cyprus this was my No1 target. Pal Mike and I had set off to a spot where we hoped to see some Crakes ...we didn't.... but the calling Cuckoo gave itself away. It was off as soon as I attempted to get a better view but it's a lifer and every bird counts! 

128)Great Spotted Cuckoo

52001707263_caf4209b10_b.jpgGreat Spotted Cuckoo.  BY128 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

One of the most commonly found birds although when a flock of 100's on migration drop in it's hard to justify that claim. They are however, one of the most confiding.

130)Crested Lark

52002225893_7289644620_b.jpgCrested Lark.   BY 130 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

More beautiful images! Looks like Cyprus is a dry and rocky country. But at least each bird gets its own rock to pose for you!

Well done on the lifer at last and a very nice Crested Lark.

great shots of the swallows, even after the heavy crops!

Hooded Crows and something else is what us and Scots are sharing!

Dave Williams

Nearly finished catching up with my Cyprus images as I have unexpected spare time despite having visitors for the long Easter weekend. While Claire takes them out I'm self isolating with Covid which I suspect was passed on at the footy match last weekend.

I must admit that I feel very little effect and wonder why the world came to a standstill as a result of this virus but of course that was pre vaccines of which I have had three shots.

136)Common Whitethroat

52008218899_49539f7fce_b.jpgLesser Whitethroat.   BY 136 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Beautiful photos again, Dave. And good to hear you're not suffering too badly from the Covid infection. I hope you'll fully recover soon. Are you sure about the Lesser Whitethroat? It looks more like a Common (Greater) Whitethroat to me with the white eyering and the light, orange legs.

Edited by PeterHG

Dave Williams

Thank Peter I'm feeling pretty good to be honest. I have just been looking at the very same comparison shots and I think you are right.

Well you got the Lesser Whitethroat in the end.

Some nice shots photos too. The Ruppell's Warbler is a stunning bird.

Sorry to hear about the infection. It may not be too serious for vaccinated but it is certainly more virulent.

Edited by Galana

Glad to hear the covid effects are very mild, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

agree that the ruppell's warbler  is a stunner 

Both Ruppels ans Sardinian Warbler are stunners!

Dave Williams

One of the four 'lifers" I saw in Cyprus, although if I hadn't been told I might have dismissed them as just another Pipit and ignored them. The red throat is barely noticeable at this stage.

141) Red-throated Pipit

52008838562_e5d4f510bb_b.jpgRed-throated Pipit.    BY 141 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Now illegal but still traded and served up as a gastronomic dish in France it was reputedly enjoyed by ex President Francois Mitterrand as his last supper on his death bed. Would have served him right if he choked!

142)Ortolan Bunting

52010491901_3dc130e0df_b.jpgOrtolan Bunting   BY142 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams