Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

There are some tiny benefits our upsets, the replacement iMac is a lot faster processing my photos than the one I lost. Cost a lot more though!!

so here, seen in St Lucia and many other places in KZN is 227) African Dusky Flycatcher ....I think. Tell me if you think otherwise.

52395627369_1f48a59d6f_b.jpgAfrican Dusky Flycatcher. BY 227 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Good to see you back with birds. Not about to add to your problems by challenging any IDs. Terrific Goshawk.

Unlike @Galanai will call out your ID, only because I had an African goshawk in the Kruger and it looks so different to your number 229, which I think is a southern banded snake-eagle

Dave Williams
22 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

Unlike @Galanai will call out your ID, only because I had an African goshawk in the Kruger and it looks so different to your number 229, which I think is a southern banded snake-eagle

Didn't take long to mess up my A-Z did it. I was more concerned about the Flycatcher! Anyway, equally delighted as I think either was a 'lifer". Thanks for the heads up Tracey.

1 hour ago, Tdgraves said:

which I think is a southern banded snake-eagle

Hmmmm! Unlikely but possible.

"The current population estimate for this species within South Africa is no more than 50 mature individuals with a global population estimate of 670 – 2000 individuals. Unfortunately both of these estimates are course and have little scientific evidence to back them up."

I went by the tail pattern of the adult male which shows "two conspicuous white patches" as well as the smaller head but am happy to be wrong as that is quite a find if correct.

11 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

I don’t like the pale eyes @Galana

I agree and concede the ID.

10 hours ago, Galana said:

I agree and concede the ID.

That’ll be the first and only time I am right, I suspect :D

43 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

That’ll be the first and only time I am right, I suspect

I doubt that very much.

Dave Williams

Interesting that after I had seen the bird I bumped in to several people

in the following days who

reported Goshawk. I assumed that was what it was as the Sasol book looked reasonably similar. After Tracey’s ID correction I took a photo of my photo and put it to the Merlin app test and they gave a choice of two, neither was Goshawk but one was the Snake Eagle

Great to see the first of your African birds Dave. Fabulous shots of course. 

Dave Williams

Next up, 231)African Grey Hornbill.

I only saw a couple, all in Kruger NP. Not nearly as confiding as some of the other Hornbills it seemed.

52403209112_e7b7567105_b.jpgAfrican Grey Hornbill. BY231 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

232) African Harrier-Hawk

The only one I saw was in Ndumo. It few out of a tree behind the hide and flew off to settle in distant trees, mobbed by smaller waders as it went.

52404153390_29f36d6602_b.jpgAfrican Harrier Hawk.  BY232 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

234)African Hoopoe

Seen often but the best views were in the camp in Ndumo reserve. The biggest problem with the national parks are you are stuck in a car and on the road except when in camp or if there is a hide in the reserve.

52404220243_3cd04ca3c2_b.jpgAfrican Hoopoe.BY234 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

235)African Jacana

A bird I usually see often on my trips to Africa but this time was not the case. The best views were at Lake Panic hide near Skukuza in Kruger NP.

52403209287_519ae7b86f_b.jpgAfrican Jacana by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

236) African Mourning Dove

Not the most common of the Dove species, I tend to ignore them all until I realise I haven't taken a shot yet and then I am desperately looking for one before going home.This was taken at Tshokwane picnic site were they sell the best roosterkoek in Kruger NP! The Dove was merely a bonus!!

52404007394_5c0c6bbba7_b.jpgAfrican Mourning Dove.BY236 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Great shots of the Hoopoe, Jacana and dove, Dave! I’ll have to remember your tip about the roosterkoek. We’re leaving for the Kruger in two weeks’ time

5 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

236) African Mourning Dove

This was taken at Tshokwane picnic site were they sell the best roosterkoek in Kruger NP! The Dove was merely a bonus!!

African Mourning Dove.BY236 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

One of the most reliable spots to bag this one (see my BY….)!

Dave Williams
13 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

Great shots of the Hoopoe, Jacana and dove, Dave! I’ll have to remember your tip about the roosterkoek. We’re leaving for the Kruger in two weeks’ time

We went three times, the third was poor, the first two excellent. Avoid weekends they are rushed. Bacon Egg and cheese ones are the way to go!! I have a little video I must post!!