Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

239)African Palm Swift

Standards sometimes drop in the search for numbers when going for a target for my Big Year! I couldn't be bothered trying for a better shot of the commonly seen Palm Swift. Very vast moving they are usually low down only when the light is poor.

52406307273_bc16fe9ba1_b.jpgAfrican Palm Swift. BY 238 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

240) African Paradise Flycatcher

If the Palm Swift was poor, this one is a shocker! The Canon R5 can struggle to pinpoint focus on a small bird in a cluttered background. This was no exception, The rules of the Big Year are as long as it's recognisable, it counts. Strangely this is undeniably what it says it is despite it being a blur!

52406105194_fc7a32be26_b.jpgAfrican Paradise Flycatcher BY239 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

242)African Pipit

Another common bird, this one taken at Buffalo Hills Safari lodge, Manyoni Private Reserve ,KZN

52406242215_90b9ea2f30_b.jpgAfrican Pipit.  BY241 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

243)African Stops Owl

This was taken at Muzandzeni picnic site in Kruger NP. I haven't cropped the shot so you can see how well camouflaged the Owl is. I would never have spotted it had it not been that others had their optics pointed at it!

52406093909_f192a81b1d_b.jpgAfrican Scops Owl    BY242 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

244)African Spoonbill

Just a few seen, this one at Ndumo reserve KZN. I think the late summer rains dispersed the wading birds which might otherwise have been easier to see.

52406448788_3eb6044488_b.jpgAfrican Spoonbill. BY244 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

246)Antarctic Prion

I took two whale watching trips, the first produced no birds but brilliant whale sightings. The second was really rough, the birds were about but it's very difficult in rough seas trying to get a shot as one second you are pointing the lens at the sea , the next the sky.

52406264174_de8101284d_b.jpgAntarctic Prion.   BY 246 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Well done with your first admirable entry into EBC territory!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Strangely this is undeniably what it says it is despite it being a blur!

Because of location so don't try and suggest Rwenzori Hill Babbler.:lol:

As EBCs go that is not a bad shot.

Envious of the Prion.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

This one is for @PeterHG

:D:D That’s what I call fast food…..!

Dave Williams

251)Black Crake

A favourite of mine which disappointingly remained distant each time I saw one. This was at Biyamiti Weir in Kruger NP.

52406879429_839eef958b_b.jpgBlack Crake.   BY 251 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

252) Black Cuckooshrike

A lifer seen at Ndumo Camp in KZN, and one it took a while to ID as I assumed a Blackbird of some description.

52406878374_138aab9943_b.jpgBlack Cuckooshrike.  BY252 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

A few weeks later when in St Lucia another bird which stumped me. It looked like a Cuckoo but wasn't in the book as such. Turned out its a juvenile. Don't they look different!

52407026700_4064f5516d_b.jpgBlack Cuckooshrike.   BY252 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

255)Black-bellied Bustard

A lifer for me and one I was delighted to see just walking along the tar road to Open. For me,Bustards have been hard to come by!

52406087032_23595d46cd_b.jpgBlack-bellied Bustard.  BY255 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Peter Connan

Sorry about the break-in.

Some really wonderful birds you managed to see here, and some really wonderful photos already!

Ha! I also saw my first black cuckooshrike in Kenya last month - only the juvenile though...