A picture a day.

Game Warden

Alex The Lion

First chance to edit a few old favourites since moving....

Two elephants on the Bank of the Luangwa close to Tafika camp.

905359_10151517106739694_1684073207_o.jp

Edited by russell

Old friends!

8661667716_641ba7f0f2_o.jpg

The swamp at Ol Tukai draws in elephants from far and wide giving old friends a chance to reminisce over a drink or two!

Amboseli, Kenya; July 2012.

Garnett's Greater Galago (Otolemur garnettii)

8675357317_d105b1bf9b_o.jpg

This is Alf, a barfly and petty hustler who hung out by the bar of the Shimba Hills Lodge after sundown.

We had to endure his company every night but he never once bought a round!

Shimba Hills, Kenya; July 2012. Image taken by my wife Marian on a Fuji Finepix HS20EXR with in-built flash using a small torch to aid autofocus and induce pupil constriction to prevent flash-blinding (like many nocturnal beasts, they have very light-sensitive eyes).

africapurohit

Baby giraffe staying very close to mum - Masai Mara, 2003 (scan of film negative)

post-14527-0-20974700-1367017868_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Home Sweet Home - Boys of Lagoon, Kwando

post-308-0-91935600-1367031792_thumb.jpg

africapurohit

This lion became very possessive of his breakfast as we approached in the vehicle. He literally sat on top of his meal and gave us a stare - Masai Mara, 2003 (scan of film negative)

post-14527-0-87504900-1367073913_thumb.jpg

Male Leopard, Sabi Sands, 2007

P1020866.JPG

africapurohit

your photo has reminded me of a photo my wife took at Lake Nakuru in 2005. She has always loved her film cameras and this was taken using black and white film where the grain is evident.

post-14527-0-03193800-1367089881_thumb.jpg

Lions eating a juvenile giraffe, Timbavati, South Africa, 2007

1070111704.JPEG

madaboutcheetah

Shingo and her girls (Feb 2012, Mara Plains) - However, this image from inside the reserve

post-308-0-81535600-1367128151_thumb.jpg

Lions on Giraffe kill, Timbavati, South Africa, 2007

1070111704.JPEG

africapurohit

Reticulated giraffe with Mount Kenya in the background, including one with floppy ears - Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Kenya (2003)

post-14527-0-04111900-1367180933_thumb.jpg

Alex The Lion

Wild dog at Kwando Lebala @ Twin Pools. This area is one of the most productive in Africa when the water levels are lower. Great for cheetah and dog hunts.

478964_10151526281279694_1004402720_o.jp

madaboutcheetah

Just heard from Spencer last night - Female Cheetah with two sub-adults being seen recently (not sure, I think @ Lagoon)

I just returned from Lagoon this week and i was lucky to have Spencer as my guide. On my first afternoon game drive, just after sundown, he spotted a pair of cheetah ears just visible above the tall grass. He started driving towards it and the cat ran. We followed slowly and two other cheetah jumped up out of the grass and ran, too. At first Spencer thought they might be the three brothers, skittish after being out of the area and away from vehicles for a long while. But it was dark, and he could not positively identify them. The next two days we tried to track them down, finding them again after sunset the next day and then finally during daylight the following day. We only got about 10 minutes with them before a second vehicle showed up, approaching the cats head on and scaring them away.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks for the updates, Carina. With his magic, they will be used to the vehicles in no time....... I had a very quick facebook chat with him last night, so didn't ask for details as i was just heading out the door to dinner.

africapurohit

Lone female cheetah, Masai Mara (2005) - captured with good old 200 iso 35mm film.

post-14527-0-66425500-1367226610_thumb.jpg

africapurohit

How many giraffe can you spot? This was a fantastic sighting in Kwando, Botswana (2006). There were a lot more giraffe that I could not capture in the frame.

It was mid-day and we decided to stop for a quiet lunch by one of the waterholes, when we were overwhelmed by the number of giraffe that started to gather from all directions.

post-14527-0-77513000-1367229829_thumb.jpg

Game Warden

I just returned from Lagoon this week

@@Carina, I don't see a trip report yet...

How many giraffe can you spot? This was a fantastic sighting in Kwando, Botswana (2006). There were a lot more giraffe that I could not capture in the frame.

It was mid-day and we decided to stop for a quiet lunch by one of the waterholes, when we were overwhelmed by the number of giraffe that started to gather from all directions.

attachicon.gifKwando Giraffes.jpg

This is the African equivalent of "Where's Waldo". There have been times when my wife and I will be looking at pictures and we spot a giraffe (or two, or three...) that we hadn't noticed when taking the photo peeking over the treetops.

africapurohit

@@PT123 We could do a "Where's Wildo" - there are 4 wildebeest in that image but difficult to spot without the original-sized image.

In the UK, we've got "Where's Wally" - a great time-waster on the iPad.

Panthera Pardus

Just love this photo I got of a Pygmy Falcon in the Kgalagdi Transfrontier Park

CB7A6346a_zpse36fd4ad.jpg

used a Canon 1D MK 4, Canon f/4 500 lens + 1,4 extender.

madaboutcheetah

Mara Plains (Feb, 2012)

post-308-0-79981300-1367334565_thumb.jpg

africapurohit

Ostrich Party - Masai Mara, 2003 (200 iso 35mm film)

post-14527-0-87947500-1367350984_thumb.jpg

sundowner

The images posted today are just amazing!

Panthera Pardus, I don't think I've seen a Pygmy Falcon and your image is outstanding!

Hari, (Mr. Cheetah) lovely image.

Africapurohit, I've never seen an ostrich parade with that many ostriches!