GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

....just love this game, I try with...Bronze-winged Courser??

Hmm is it Rüppell's Korhaan?

Right! Over to you, kittycat!

These birds do not look exactly like Rüppels korhaan in my birdbook (Newman´s Birds of Southern Africa) but they are the closest. Photo is from Sossusvlei, Namibia, where the other possible species do not occur.

kittykat23uk

:D I agree, although the photo is a bit overexposed which might be part of the problem. Here's another one:

3034640945_c0e271c7ae.jpg

I know, but I wouldn´t tell you, because I don´t have any bird pics available ... :D

kittykat23uk
:D

Male Shelley's sunbird? (with the red band on the chest nicely hidden, lol...)

kittykat23uk

Close, but no cigar. :D

You could help us a bit; is this a pic from east Africa or from southern Africa? :D

...my 2c.....Mariqua Sunbird? :D ..

kittykat23uk
...my 2c.....Mariqua Sunbird? :D ..

Correct! Also called Marico Sunbird. This was photographed in Maun.

..sorry i don,t know how to post pics...will try soon, so i will have to pass, Sorry!!

No problemo bushwalker. I'll post one.

But just so you know; when you are typing a post, you can simply add pics by choosing them with the "Browse" button on the bottom right of the field you are typing in. Of course, you'll need to create a smaller version before you choose a pic. Full versions are too large to fit on a browser screen.

A new pic then;

10.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Easy one - Squacco heron?

Yup!

Your turn, Hari.

madaboutcheetah

ok, really dumb question - anyone can help me here!

What is the easiest way to re-format pics to fit posting guidelines? GW mentioned that my pics the other day is too large a file?

There are freeware softs to do resizes of (or create thumbnails from) your images.

On PC, I used to use a prog like EZthumbs. It's not because the program is normally made to make thumbs of - say - 150px x 150px, that you cannot us it to make files of 700px x 700px max. :D

I'm on Mac now, and can't remember the prog I use at home (don't have it at work).

madaboutcheetah

Thanks Jochen, shall try it tomorrow. Bear with me until then ...... :D

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_1_155_78913.jpg

There, that's solved it. Dick, I took your image, reduced it's size and quality, uploaded it to a private album here on Safaritalk, and inserted it into the post. Now, what is it?

Thought I had it down pat. Uploaded pic and found it in the management file. Looked/said reduced. Saw it. Now, why can I not get it?

Game Warden

Hey Dick and welcome. What you are doing is uploading the pic as an attachment to the post, so it appears as a thumbnail until you click on it. Best way to include pics in your post is to host the images online. Always reduce the image size and quality from 100% so as to make the file smaller. Have a look at the links below in my signature to get you started. Matt

Thanks Matt for the quick response. Have already enjoyed Safaritalk immensely. Now on to mastering pic reduction and posting! Dick

I cannot see the attached picture. I get an authorization error.

Game Warden

When I click on the thumbnail it shows the pic full size...

When I click on the thumbnail it shows the pic full size...

Well, for starters, I cannot even see the thumbnail. I see this:

ST1.png

And when I click on the filename of the pic, I get this:

ST2.png

Game Warden

Just edited Dick's post to include the image. Now, what is it?

I can only think that the original upload was such a large size, only I as admin could access it...