Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

290) Emerald-spotted wood Dove

As you can see from this photo as the light changes so do the spots. They can look anything from bright green to dark blue which then makes me think I have seen a Blue-spotted Wood Dove...only they are not present in South Africa!

52417934712_beb74a7230_b.jpgEmerald-spotted Wood Dove.  BY290 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams
9 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

Only 2 “D’s” @Dave Williams?

??????!

287 and 288.

I haven’t got my book out, but I would have thought that more birds beginning with a “d” would exist in South Africa…no dark chanting goshawk, for example?

Dave Williams
11 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

287 and 288.

I haven’t got my book out, but I would have thought that more birds beginning with a “d” would exist in South Africa…no dark chanting goshawk, for example?

Ah....You had me checking if the Sandgrouse for bands.Glad you mentioned it though as I have three and missed posting it.Coming up next then!

and it's not Dark Chanting Goshawk ...I didn't see one unfortunately.

Dave Williams

293)Fiery-necked Nightjar

I'm not a great fan of night drives but in the hope of seeing a Porcupine I decided to take one at UMkuze. No Porcupine but two additional birds for my BY and this one a far superior effort than the one I got in Kruger in 2019.

52418897924_7e31c99d36_b.jpgFiery-necked Nightjar.  BY293 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Love your nightjar shot. I’ve occasionally seen ( or heard) them, but never managed a photo.

Dave Williams

296) Giant Kingfisher

Ndumo ,KZN. one of only two seen, the other on Lake St Lucia. I had expected one on Lower Sabie bridge but it wasn't there this time!

52420168164_2dfc310ab6_b.jpgGiant Kingfisher.  BY296 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

298)Goliath Heron

Again, only a couple of sightings this being the best. Crossing the river bed on the way to the Sweni Hide, Kruger NP. Couldn't stop too long because o following traffic.

52419887721_76470d23da_b.jpgGoliath Heron. BY298 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

299)Great White Pelican

First I spotted one flying, then another before realising they were probably on migration as they gathered in huge numbers on a lagoon in UMkuze NP.KZN. A magnificent sight!

52420327310_970b68b8f6_b.jpgGreat White Pelican.  BY299 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

300) Golden-breasted Bunting

My first sighting was in Etosha back in 2017 and I was thrilled to see the only one of the trip. A few more followed in KNP in 2019 but they were everywhere on this trip! Common as almost anything.

I have chosen it for number 300 because although driving safaris are great fun for photography your point of view can be very limiting from a car window.The garden at Buffalo Hill Safari Lodge, in Manyoni private reserve,KZN allowed me to get low down and personal with this Bunting 

52419375127_0c190c9e51_b.jpgGolden-breasted Bunting. BY300 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Congratulations on your beautiful #300!

A lovely shot of a beautiful bird for your 300.

Congratulations

Congrats o #300 Dave, well done! I love Golden-Breasted Buntings, a good choice! Of course I´ve never managed to get such a beautiful photo of it like you.

Dave Williams

302)Green Malkoa

Despite their size they are very hard to get a view of as they move around in heavy foliage. Seen here in St Lucia

52421055551_fe00b4fb7c_b.jpgGreen Malkoa by Dave Williams, on Flickr