Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Great additions from South Africa! I also appreciate your Paradise Flycatcher, a relief to see even you can sometimes come down to the photography level of mere mortals. :D

Dave Williams
37 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Great additions from South Africa! I also appreciate your Paradise Flycatcher, a relief to see even you can sometimes come down to the photography level of mere mortals. :D

I have a peach coming up I think Michael!!

Dave Williams

Here it is then. It was a lifer but the shot is so bad you can't tell the species so I'm not including it. My view through binoculars was pretty good but the camera just couldn't get past the foliage.

684013199_CrownedEagle.jpg.e8a7033fd15a4977852cd8d74f4d7d16.jpg

Definitely a Silvery-Cheeked Hornbill.B)

A lovely Crested Barbet, and an exceptional EBC! 

Dave Williams
14 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Definitely a Silvery-Cheeked Hornbill.B)

Clue……It should have been my crowning glory. I have a feeling @Galanawill actually get it!!

A Crowned Eagle then.:)

Is it a Verreaux’s eagle owl? Or maybe a Southern grey-headed sparrow!?! :P

Dave Williams

Close on the Verreaux in that it's a similar shape but the clue gave it to Michael. In fact so quickly maybe I should claim it!!

Another protracted meal delayed my participation but I have to say my first go with your EBC would have been Eagle Owl. I just don't see those legs on an Eagle.

Dave Williams
12 minutes ago, Galana said:

Another protracted meal delayed my participation but I have to say my first go with your EBC would have been Eagle Owl. I just don't see those legs on an Eagle.

If you look again, what does appear to be a leg is actually a branch I think.

16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

what does appear to be a leg is actually a branch I think.

So its an Owl with a wooden leg?

Dave Williams
51 minutes ago, Galana said:

So its an Owl with a wooden leg?

Well, my guide ID'd it.There was definitely a distinctive barring on the chest but alas it can't be seen in the photo.It does appear to have tufted ears or could they be a ruffled crown? All immaterial as it's not being claimed.

Dave Williams

286)Curlew Sandpiper

St Lucia KZN.

Amongst the Curlew Sandpipers are three Terns, as ringed in the photo. I'm guessing that there is one Common Tern and two Little Terns. The ones on the ground are,I think,Swift Terns. Any alternative ID's would be welcomed.

52417314967_f167248aa2_b.jpgCurlew Sandpiper.   BY286 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Some really great birds and lovely shots Dave!